Too tall for large bike

Elwin

Looking for wisdom. 

I am 190cm and most bike size charts shows I am XL, while size L is mostly up to 188cm. The market is flooded with good deals in Large MTBs, but very little XL bikes available. 

My question is will I regret buying a Large MTB, is there a way around it? 

I can't seem to find a decent XL bike compared to the L bikes available. 

Any suggestions? 

Hi 

I was in the same boat, I am 1.86 and is borderline L/XL. On your length I would recommend going for a XL. I know some brands are bigger like silverback. What brand are you looking for ? But in short yes its a struggle to find decent XL deals.. 

What is your budget +- ?

I actually have a XL Merida 96 carbon frame that I need to list for sale 😎

Edited by Phillippe Coetzee
Additional info

I am 190cm as well, and I ride a XL frame. I do feel that a size L is not entirely too small. If you have reach issues you can always add a longer stem and some riser bars to even that out. I just bought myself a size S5 (XL) Spez Stumpy, but I am pretty confident an S4 would also have worked.

@Phillippe Coetzee, budget is about 20k-25k. At the moment I'm still just browsing as my job hours doesn't allow for cyclimg at the moment.

But definitely in the market for a carbon hardtail frame once work allows for it (and the budget of course) 

18 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Hi 

I was in the same boat, I am 1.86 and is borderline L/XL. On your length I would recommend going for a XL. I know some brands are bigger like silverback. What brand are you looking for ? But in short yes its a struggle to find decent XL deals.. 

What is your budget +- ?

I actually have a XL Merida 96 carbon frame that I need to list for sale 😎

What is your price? 😅

I am 1.9m XL Definitely. I have a XL Scalpel I might sell in future.  Not sure what mtb your looking for?

Just now, Mongoose! said:

I am 1.9m XL Definitely. I have a XL Scalpel I might sell in future.  Not sure what mtb your looking for?

Due to budget I'm looking for carbon hardtail with mid range groudset (GX 1x12)

But if a soft tail comes along for the right price I'll look into it as well

I am 1.92cm tall, have been riding L my whole life, until 3 years ago.  I bit the bullet and got a XL hard tail frame.  I don't know if it is the steel frame, the size, or both, but the bike rides like a dream.

Way more comfortable and less pain on longer rides.

PS.  I also got a lekker saddle with the XL bike.

I don't think I'll go back to a L frame(depending on the deal and manufacturer).

6 hours ago, Elwin said:

Looking for wisdom. 

I am 190cm and most bike size charts shows I am XL, while size L is mostly up to 188cm. The market is flooded with good deals in Large MTBs, but very little XL bikes available. 

My question is will I regret buying a Large MTB, is there a way around it? 

I can't seem to find a decent XL bike compared to the L bikes available. 

Any suggestions? 

Fwiw, I am 1.82 and a XL fits me perfectly (brand=Rocky mountain).

My point being, since you are an outlier, look at the actual numbers of the geo.

I find modern geometries (HT and ST), especially trail bikes, much better on the larger frames. Lately, if in doubt, I upsize. I am 1.94 and used to hover between a L and XL 10-15 yrs ago because a XL mtb was a "plaashek" and dropper posts were not even a gimmick yet.

Now I ride an XL and even XXL and find them much easier to ride. Better reach, center of gravity (especially with a dropper), etc.

If you fear a HT might be too top heavy, consider the dropper to compensate for it on more technical sections.

Happy hunting.

I have also this frame available if you interested - Merida Big. nine 1000 lite frame size 23"

Its Aluminum. 

Not sure if you are looking for a complete bike or want to build one up (which is much more fun...😜) PM me if you interested. 

-1700036767-9058_medium.jpg

1 hour ago, Mongoose! said:

I have also this frame available if you interested - Merida Big. nine 1000 lite frame size 23"

Its Aluminum. 

Not sure if you are looking for a complete bike or want to build one up (which is much more fun...😜) PM me if you interested. 

-1700036767-9058_medium.jpg

I can build this up for you 😁. 23" is XXL though