XCM MTB tyres

MarcoDeS

Maxxis Recon race front & rear is a safe option, fast rolling, decent cornering in South African conditions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/2/2024 at 11:23 AM, Murrob said:

What is the ID of your rims? Why are you keen on the 2.2 vs 2.4? 

I have a wheelset with 29 mm internal width, 35 mm external width and 22 mm depth. Looking for the 2.2s to cut weight although I’m aware that my Rims are quite wide. What’s your thoughts? 

With that internal dimension the 2.2 are going to handle terribly, would definitely go for the 2.4, more comfortable with the lower pressure you can run. Plus better fitting tyre on the rim with sidewall to protect rim. Also I cannot imagine wheel manufacturer would recommend anything smaller than 2.25-35 anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Murrob said:

With that internal dimension the 2.2 are going to handle terribly, would definitely go for the 2.4, more comfortable with the lower pressure you can run. Plus better fitting tyre on the rim with sidewall to protect rim. Also I cannot imagine wheel manufacturer would recommend anything smaller than 2.25-35 anyway. 

Yep, you’re right. 2.2 is cutting it fine. I’ve just placed an order for 2 of those Pirelli Scorpion RC XC lite 2.4s 💨 😍

Edited by MarcoDeS

27 minutes ago, MarcoDeS said:

I have a wheelset with 29 mm internal width, 35 mm external width and 22 mm depth. Looking for the 2.2s to cut weight although I’m aware that my Rims are quite wide. What’s your thoughts? 

2.2 vs 2.4 is like 5mm difference in circumference , that’s not a lot of diameter. The wider rim adds maybe 1mm more it think you will be ok.

Ill use the maxxis minion SS as an example what happens when you put a tyre designed for narrower rims on a 30mm internal rim (from experience)

It squares off the profile just enough so that you end up running on the side knobs too, rather than just the faster rolling centre ones, negating any of its supposed benefits as a semi slick that corners great. It ends up having a very floaty feel and also sucks in corners as the side knob is not pointing in the direction it is supposed to. 

Yes narrow tyres will fit wider rims, and look fine, but that doesn't mean they end up working how they were designed to.

2.1-2.2 XC tyres = 25-27mm internal

2.4+, 30mm+ rims. 

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

Yep, you’re right. 2.2 is cutting it fine. I’ve just placed an order for 2 of those Pirelli Scorpion RC XC lite 2.4s 💨 😍

Nice! Where did you find stock? 

I went from ardent front and rekon race rear , both 2.4 on 29mm id rims to barzo and mezcal 2.35 xc trail , so far fast , but miss the cornering grip on my rekon race , 

Aslo had a a pirelli scorpion mixed terrain as a front , very heavy but strongest and most reliable tyre i ever ridden , got about 5500km on the pirelli 

Edited by Werner van der Walt

1 minute ago, Werner van der Walt said:

I went from ardent front and rekon race rear , both 2.4 on w9mm id rims to barzo and mezcal 2.35 xc trail , so far fast , but miss the cornering grip on my rekon race , 

Aslo had a a pirelli scorpion mixed terrain as a front , very heavy but strongest and most reliable tyre i ever ridden , got about 5500km on the pirelli 

Had those as well, run super well on all types of terrain, but the sidewalls are crazy hard and of course heavy, but bomb proof. 

I fit my tyres onto 36mm ID rims. Walked into the garage this evening only to notice I fit the rear tyre back to front. Tried to peel it off to fix the mistake. 

Ja.

That tyre will NOT let go of the bead.

2.25 at the back, 2.35 up front. 

I'm thinking I'll attack it with the wife's hairdryer in the morning to add some heat to soften the bead. Failing which I'm riding that tyre back to front then. 

30 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Would a 2.6" tyre be fine on a 30id rim?

It will. Might feel a bit much but should be good.

9 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Would a 2.6" tyre be fine on a 30id rim?

30mm works perfectly on everything down to 2.35 ish. As mentioned earlier, smaller and yo’ll start squaring the tyre off too much.
Nobody runs 650b+ or 29+ anymore so the recently discarded ‘sub-fat’ standard of 2.8 -3.0” means there aren't many reasons to run anything above 30mm ID either. 35mm+ ID rims are a remnant of that. 

Edited by MORNE

14 hours ago, Murrob said:

Nice! Where did you find stock? 

The Bicycle service company had 2 left. 

Edited by MarcoDeS

For me, the Racing Ray will never be replaced by any other tyre on the front. I have the blue stripe version 2.25 at the moment for over a year and there is very little wear, and no punctures. I don`t know how they were able to make a tyre with so much grip and so much rolling speed. And it looks like it is even wearing very slowly. Best mtb tyre ever made.

1 hour ago, Mtbiker404 said:

For me, the Racing Ray will never be replaced by any other tyre on the front. I have the blue stripe version 2.25 at the moment for over a year and there is very little wear, and no punctures. I don`t know how they were able to make a tyre with so much grip and so much rolling speed. And it looks like it is even wearing very slowly. Best mtb tyre ever made.

Its on the front, it will wear very slowly