Stolen: Pole Machine 2019 (Western Cape)

Shandef007

Stolen: Pole Machine 2019

When: 22/03/2024

Where: , Hout Bay, Cape Town, Western Cape

2019 Pole Machine, super rare bike and only one in the country as far as I know. Parts as follows: Fox 38 factory Renthal Bars Hope Tech4 E4 Brakeset Spank 350 rims on Hope PRO4 hubs (blue rear rim, white front) XO1 Crankset GX Derailleur and Cassette Again, super rare bike so please keep an eye out!

Get further details about the incident in the Stolen Bikes section.

Sorry to hear this. When you say Tokai park, do you mean Tokai forest (lower)?

No, it was up on the mountain heading towards donkey trail, according to strava its called "Concrete Climb"... its the switch backs on silvermine side

5 minutes ago, Shandef007 said:

IMG_9119.png

Thanks for sharing. I’m always on that route. Sorry it happened. Will be keeping an eye out. 

What time of day was this please? Would expect Silvermine to be quite busy with hikers on Friday, given that many people made it a long weekend. I had considered that route for a solo walk later yesterday afternoon. 

I hope SANParks have been informed too, so they can consider stepping up patrols there? 

It was between 1030/1045… I thought the same thing, but it happened so quickly and the guy was gone in a matter of seconds! I ride that route pretty regularly and never thought this would happen in a million years! All I can say is reconsider your solo missions, I know I won’t be riding alone again!! 

I haven’t yet notified SANParks, but thanks for the suggestion and I will get onto them immediately! They definitely need to have more active patrolling on that side of the mountain!

Sorry to hear about the mugging. I ride there often too and have always thought it's a safe place to ride as escape options are limited.

Was the person armed?

Definitely let SanParks know about the incident otherwise it could happen to someone else. They might even be able to catch them if they try something like that again.

Yes he had a knife! 

I have let SANParks know, hopefully they will get some kind of patrolling going on!

So which direction did he ride away with your bike? Not easy to get it down Blackburn Ravine at this point, and if he'd walked down the steps that head up to Elephant's Eye from Tokai, he would have been seen by lots of hikers.

He was headed back down towards the dam, so hopefully he was seen by someone! 

3 hours ago, Shandef007 said:

IMG_9119.png

So this is the super steep set of switchbacks headed towards the lookout point over Chapman's peak?

I'm not 100% sure where the Chapmans peak lookout point is but yes the climb is steep, I go as far as the start of donkey trail.

🤬 Not cool! Sorry to hear. I ride in Tokai and do the Silvermine loop often. This really sucks.