Jump to content

[Event] Pilanesberg Road Outride by Drake Events


wesdrake

Recommended Posts

Event Name: Pilanesberg Road Outride by Drake Events
When: 13/07/2024
Where: Pedal and Sprocket, Northern Farm, Gauteng
Category: Road

Drake Events presents the Pilanesberg Road Outride on Saturday, 13 July.


You'll depart towards Broadacres, immediately heading north-east towards Harties. We'll get the climbing out the way early up to and around Hartbeespoort, to then enjoy the flatter roads around Beestekraal and onto Pilanesberg.


We're very excited to offer you a magnificent 200km route. The route is an A-B route, with option for you to take a shuttle back with us after the ride, including transport for your bicycle.


You have a choice to ride in any of the three different paced groups, but ensure you're comfortable at the prescribed pace, as the groups are all no-drop groups.


This day is all about you and enjoying every minute spent in the saddle with like-minded riders. It's about the experience!


We believe in rider safety and rider value-for-money. Below are a few of the exciting services you will experience on the day;

- safe parking at the start venue

- think bike marshals

- support vehicles

- sponsored hydration

- water points with snacks & beverages

- gps charging station

- lunch stop 

- photographer

- finishers medal

- family-friendly finish venue


We look forward to hosting you and having an epic day out in the saddle.


All details for the ride can be viewed at https://drakeevents.co.za/pilanesberg-outride/


Enter at https://drakeevents.co.za/entry-form/



Go to Event Page.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Wesley - thanks for posting this here - I've been following on FB and keen to join this ride but have a few questions.

Some advise please for a newbie to a 200km ride on how one would go about deciding which start group to leave with ? The last thing one wants is to be the one holding up a group but one also wants to ride with the fastest group that you can manage. The longest (one day) road ride I've done so far would be Dischem R4S at an average (and for the most part comfortable) pace of 33 km/hr with no stops and only in a peloton for maybe just over half the route but I'm not sure how this would relate to the this route and the additional +-80km ?

Also, I assume the groups stop at every water stop or is this a group decision as to whether to stop or not ? And if so, how long are the water / lunch stops ? 

Also, I see that lunch stop is from 10:00 with the first group leaving P&S at 07:00 - so with no stops at all, covering 120km in 3 hours relates to an average speed of 40 km/hr - not 30 km/hr ?

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JBK said:

Hi Wesley - thanks for posting this here - I've been following on FB and keen to join this ride but have a few questions.

Some advise please for a newbie to a 200km ride on how one would go about deciding which start group to leave with ? The last thing one wants is to be the one holding up a group but one also wants to ride with the fastest group that you can manage. The longest (one day) road ride I've done so far would be Dischem R4S at an average (and for the most part comfortable) pace of 33 km/hr with no stops and only in a peloton for maybe just over half the route but I'm not sure how this would relate to the this route and the additional +-80km ?

Also, I assume the groups stop at every water stop or is this a group decision as to whether to stop or not ? And if so, how long are the water / lunch stops ? 

Also, I see that lunch stop is from 10:00 with the first group leaving P&S at 07:00 - so with no stops at all, covering 120km in 3 hours relates to an average speed of 40 km/hr - not 30 km/hr ?

Thanks.

From P&S to Harties is predominantly down hill, so I would imagine a much quicker than 30km/h average for that section.

 

I can comment on the Pliansberg out ride, but I've done Drake's Parys outride (also 200km). I elected to take the slowest group as I also had no idea how I would fair over 200km. Our group stopped at each water point (they were 40km apart) and the time taken at each stop was determined by the group. I would imagine all the groups would stop and take in some nutrition, this is not a race but rather a "tour".

Given your stats above I would think the middle group would be just fine for you. The slow group was to slow for me at some points, but after 160km when fatigue set in I was glad to be in that group. Although I think a faster group might have made it a little bit better.

 

I never saw any photos or medals or anything that was advertised post ride, I've made peace with it and accepted my Strava/Garmin longest ride badge for it.

 

I may still do this Pilansberg ride, and the Parys ride again. Funds and time will dictate. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

From P&S to Harties is predominantly down hill, so I would imagine a much quicker than 30km/h average for that section.

 

On 5/15/2024 at 6:46 AM, wesdrake said:

You'll depart towards Broadacres, immediately heading north-east towards Harties. We'll get the climbing out the way early up to and around Hartbeespoort, to then enjoy the flatter roads around Beestekraal and onto Pilanesberg.

Hey Ouzo

Thanks, but according to organisers, this is actually the section with the most climbing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JBK said:

Hi Wesley - thanks for posting this here - I've been following on FB and keen to join this ride but have a few questions.

Some advise please for a newbie to a 200km ride on how one would go about deciding which start group to leave with ? The last thing one wants is to be the one holding up a group but one also wants to ride with the fastest group that you can manage. The longest (one day) road ride I've done so far would be Dischem R4S at an average (and for the most part comfortable) pace of 33 km/hr with no stops and only in a peloton for maybe just over half the route but I'm not sure how this would relate to the this route and the additional +-80km ?

Also, I assume the groups stop at every water stop or is this a group decision as to whether to stop or not ? And if so, how long are the water / lunch stops ? 

Also, I see that lunch stop is from 10:00 with the first group leaving P&S at 07:00 - so with no stops at all, covering 120km in 3 hours relates to an average speed of 40 km/hr - not 30 km/hr ?

Thanks.

Hey @JBK...  Thanks for the interest in our event.  Based on your R4S pace I believe you will be good in the 30 average group.  Sitting in the group allows for a lot of slip and less effort.  The slower groups start behind for a reason.  If you're not comfortable in the group, you can wait at the water point for the next group, being the 28 average group, to then slot in for the remainder of the ride.  If you're unsure, possibly start in the 28 group and then know you're in a comfortable group from the start.

Groups stop at every water point for 10 minutes and at lunch for 30 minutes.  The lunch stop is ready from 10H00 but by no means does it mean we'll get there at that time.  If the group leaders control the group properly, you'll be averaging the predetermined group average on arrival.  

Any other questions, feel free to post here or WhatsApp me.  

Stay blessed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JBK said:

 

Hey Ouzo

Thanks, but according to organisers, this is actually the section with the most climbing...

There certainly are a good few climbs in that section, but this elevation graph, an extract from my last ride to harties, is from around the kyalami area through to broederstroom in harties. Plenty more elevation drop vs elevation gain.

 

image.png.79350de441a7fcf8743dacf11f64b29c.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Settings My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Help Logout