Hydration bag

Bradleyfly

I’m new to the sport I’m looking for a hydration bag for storage mostly, mountain bike trail riding - I don’t want to drop 4k on USWE Or Thule 

any suggestions please 

5 minutes ago, Bradleyfly said:

I’m new to the sport I’m looking for a hydration bag for storage mostly, mountain bike trail riding - I don’t want to drop 4k on USWE Or Thule 

any suggestions please 

Those bags cost that much because people actually pay for it. The smarter people buy stuff that works but doesn't have the hype vibe that turns heads at a coffee shop.

I have the decathlon brand trail running pack that cost a third of the fancy pants stuff but does the job perfectly, this should be just as good. Hopefully they don't get all fancy pants now that their bikes are winning TdF and XCO races.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/cycling-water-bag/332901-66035-mountain-bike-hydration-backpack-explore-7lslash2l-water-black.html

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Those bags cost that much because people actually pay for it. The smarter people buy stuff that works but doesn't have the hype vibe that turns heads at a coffee shop.

I have the decathlon brand trail running pack that cost a third of the fancy pants stuff but does the job perfectly, this should be just as good. Hopefully they don't get all fancy pants now that their bikes are winning TdF and XCO races.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/cycling-water-bag/332901-66035-mountain-bike-hydration-backpack-explore-7lslash2l-water-black.html

Lol, thanks for this I’ll have a look you say it’s 100% for you? 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Paid €80 for my fancy pants USWE pack in Europe. Dont blame them when its the local distributors milking you all again. That decathlon pack should be R500 max too.

Cyclelab/CWC has a Marvel copy of the uswe pack. Not as well ventilated, but 1/4 of the price

In our home we have various including Camelbak, Decathlon, Deuter - and the favourite is the cheapie Inoxto bag similar to the one in this link. Actually exactly the same bag just a different name on the front. We use them with Decathlon and K Way bladders. Super lightweight, plenty of accessible storage, easy to wash and has stood up to sealant, red sand, etc. 

Running vest

It partly depends how much storage you want. In the last year, I've moved to a Camelback Classic Light 2L which is a bit limited space-wise, but ok now that I have internal frame storage. Very comfortable, and cool in summer.

Cheaper brands might have more storage, but may need to be restitched every so often -- I had my ancient but otherwise perfect Rav bag fixed twice at Barksole for R50.

You could even try Sportsman's Warehouse's own Concept brand

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/products/?keyword=hydration pack

Try buy a good second-hand one like Camelbak or something, and just get a new un-used inner. Solomons have new inners for like R200. 

I had a small one and wanted a bigger one for longer rides, I managed to get the Camelbak Mule one for R300 with an inner. It's a big bag, has 2.5-3L hydration inner. I just bought myself a new inner anyway for hygienic reasons. It's more the mouthpiece you need to worry about actually .....

Edited by madporra