Bike recommendation for beginner to get into the sport

Hi everyone! 

Im looking to get into mountain biking and im looking to get all the gear. Im about 1.75m and about 76kg. And im not sure on what bike to get. I have a budget of around 5k to get a decentish 2nd hand bike. If im more into it i get a better bike along the way. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Firstly, welcome to the hub. 

Suggest you look at a Hard Tail (medium frame).

Best bang for buck in the 5k range would probably be a Titan. Have a look at the classifieds.

Example: Pre-Owned Titan 650 Series Comp (M) BM9738 (2016) | Hardtail Mountain Bikes | Bike Hub

One also needs to consider the cost of a decent helmet (>R1500). This is one item you don't want to scrimp on. 

Baggies (not essential) but nice to have for extra comfort (Lycra is only for us roadies)

Cleats if you are going in that direction.

Factor all this in and you are already close to the R8 - R10 K mark.

I have a Titan Rogue(M) - was not planning on selling, however I am about to get a gravel bike this week and would have no use for the titan- and it would be a good beginner bike. It has only even being on my trainer and is in excellent condition. DM me if you keen

17 hours ago, Ispeed_V said:

One also needs to consider the cost of a decent helmet (>R1500). This is one item you don't want to scrimp on. 

Just to pick up on this, it's been covered before, but the Spez Align helmet is really well priced when you consider the safety rating, highly recommended.