Magura-compatabile (10 speed) Brifter advice request

Zebra

I am converting a 29"er over to a Monster Cross / Gravel Bike, with dropped bars...

1. I have Magura MT (2-piston?) calipers, and need to get them to work with drop-bar levers?

2. My drivetrain is Deore XT 10-speed.

3. Would ideally like to buy 2nd-hand 'brifters' that will work with both Shimano Deore XT 10 speed AND Magura MT calipers.

4. Then, looking for an Alu 42 - 44cm Gravel (flared) bar, if anyone has one to sell, again 2ndh hand ideally , proof-of-concept stuff!

thanks

Chris

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1278/bicycle-rear-derailleur-compatibility/#1

10 speed ROAD RD

Rear shift ratio is 1.7, so it’s compatible with all the 6 to 9 speed shifters, as well as road 10 speed shifters. Same rear shift ratio. MTB 10 (and 11 speed) shifters won’t work well.

Exception is Shimano Tiagra 4700 10 speed road RD – it has the same shift ratio as Shimano road 11 speed RDs, so it will work only with Tiagra 4700 shifters and Shimano 11 speed road shifters.

Another exception is the new “gravel” group (with hydraulic brakes): Shimano GRX. Caple pull wise it’s the same as Tiagra 4700.

10 speed MTB RD

Rear shift ratio of this RD is about 1.2. It is only compatible with Shimano 10 speed MTB shifters and nothing else. Shimano calls this system Dyna-Sys.

There are a few caveats here. See below, my comment on 10/11 Shimano MTB RDs.

Magura calipers will be compatible, since both they and Shimano use mineral oil.

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

I am converting a 29"er over to a Monster Cross / Gravel Bike, with dropped bars...

1. I have Magura MT (2-piston?) calipers, and need to get them to work with drop-bar levers?

2. My drivetrain is Deore XT 10-speed.

3. Would ideally like to buy 2nd-hand 'brifters' that will work with both Shimano Deore XT 10 speed AND Magura MT calipers.

4. Then, looking for an Alu 42 - 44cm Gravel (flared) bar, if anyone has one to sell, again 2ndh hand ideally , proof-of-concept stuff!

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris. Why don't you just go cable disc calipers? Will make it a lot easier. I got some brand new cable calipers that you can have for mahala. Not sure what brand they are? Definitely not TRP's. Let me know and i can drop them at your shop. My office is around the corner from you. 

42 minutes ago, RustyHWR said:

Hi Chris. Why don't you just go cable disc calipers? Will make it a lot easier. I got some brand new cable calipers that you can have for mahala. Not sure what brand they are? Definitely not TRP's. Let me know and i can drop them at your shop. My office is around the corner from you. 

Hmmn, could work, VERY grateful for the offer, real pity to remove my beautiful Magura calipers (gloss black, just saying!), let me see what else is suggested, and then revert soonest?

Thanks!

Chris

Magura MT calipers will work with Shimano levers...the famous Shigura hack....you just need the right olives and barbs on the Shimano end