New to cycling - size 48 and 50 road bikes

LizMTB

Hi all,

My partner and I want to get into road cycling. After a visit to a bike shop yesterday and trying out a couple of bikes, we’ve determined size 48 and 50 will do. Getting on a road bike felt SO good. We can’t wait to start.

I’ve been looking at Bikehub daily like a madman and thought maybe a forum post could help.

If anyone can assist with the following: 

Size: 48 & 50 road bikes

Budget: R5000 - R7000 (this might change as we put more money towards it over time)

… and any general advice, what brands, what bikes, etc.

thanks!!

1 hour ago, LizMTB said:

Hi all,

My partner and I want to get into road cycling. After a visit to a bike shop yesterday and trying out a couple of bikes, we’ve determined size 48 and 50 will do. Getting on a road bike felt SO good. We can’t wait to start.

I’ve been looking at Bikehub daily like a madman and thought maybe a forum post could help.

If anyone can assist with the following: 

Size: 48 & 50 road bikes

Budget: R5000 - R7000 (this might change as we put more money towards it over time)

… and any general advice, what brands, what bikes, etc.

thanks!!

I would spend a little bit more now rather than later.. up you budget and get into something with mechanical 105, Tiagra at least.. little more future proof.. cannondale caad are always a good option

option for the 48

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/744390/merida-scultura-juliet

that saddle needs to go though 🤣🤣.. 

50 I’m not seeing a lot of great options I’m afraid..

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/673770/cannondale-system-six-50cm

I would maybe consider flying this into Cape Town if you could make it happen.. 

it’s better to spend a little more and get better components on your bike than trying to upgrade later.. start riding, get super into it and the money spent later is on a like a good pair of shoes that are nice and stiff maybe carbon soles and you can put the power through them really nicely.. a nice comfy aero helmet, some good kit etc.. 👍🏻in my opinion and from my experience into it.. which is recent..

8 hours ago, Bike Dewing said:

I would spend a little bit more now rather than later.. up you budget and get into something with mechanical 105, Tiagra at least.. little more future proof.. cannondale caad are always a good option

option for the 48

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/744390/merida-scultura-juliet

that saddle needs to go though 🤣🤣.. 

50 I’m not seeing a lot of great options I’m afraid..

I've saved that one! Can you explain to me what the deal is with the 105 and what's wrong with the saddle? Thanks :)

7 hours ago, Bike Dewing said:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/673770/cannondale-system-six-50cm

I would maybe consider flying this into Cape Town if you could make it happen.. 

it’s better to spend a little more and get better components on your bike than trying to upgrade later.. start riding, get super into it and the money spent later is on a like a good pair of shoes that are nice and stiff maybe carbon soles and you can put the power through them really nicely.. a nice comfy aero helmet, some good kit etc.. 👍🏻in my opinion and from my experience into it.. which is recent..

That's what the man at the shop advised us... seems like a more expensive hobby to get into 

4 minutes ago, LizMTB said:

I've saved that one! Can you explain to me what the deal is with the 105 and what's wrong with the saddle? Thanks :)

Ofcourse.. the 105 groupset is your entry level into shimano top tier road group sets.. it’s nicknamed the groupset of the people, it performs really well at a great price point so maintenance and repairs won’t absolutely kill you..  you’ll really feel that extra bit of money in the increased ride quality.. clean and well maintained the 105 drivetrain rides so nicely.. I love mine..

saddle just looks big and bulky.. might be good though, I don’t know🤷🏼‍♂️

5 minutes ago, LizMTB said:

That's what the man at the shop advised us... seems like a more expensive hobby to get into 

You can absolutely stick to your budget though.. just buy a bicycle and start riding at the end of the day.. but that Merida is a very good option 

On 8/18/2024 at 7:49 PM, Bike Dewing said:

You can absolutely stick to your budget though.. just buy a bicycle and start riding at the end of the day.. but that Merida is a very good option 

Definitely going to be a bit more patient up the budget! Can I ask, what do you think about the Liv Avail vs. the Merida Scultura Juliet? They don't make it easy to know what the difference is between certain bikes and bike types etc. 

On 8/18/2024 at 7:46 PM, Bike Dewing said:

Ofcourse.. the 105 groupset is your entry level into shimano top tier road group sets.. it’s nicknamed the groupset of the people, it performs really well at a great price point so maintenance and repairs won’t absolutely kill you..  you’ll really feel that extra bit of money in the increased ride quality.. clean and well maintained the 105 drivetrain rides so nicely.. I love mine..

saddle just looks big and bulky.. might be good though, I don’t know🤷🏼‍♂️

Ahh okay, great that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

10 hours ago, LizMTB said:

Definitely going to be a bit more patient up the budget! Can I ask, what do you think about the Liv Avail vs. the Merida Scultura Juliet? They don't make it easy to know what the difference is between certain bikes and bike types etc. 

I’ll have a look at the liv avail or if there’s an add you interested in link it and I’ll look.. I’m not naturally familiar with woman’s bikes so I’m literally looking at the groupset and the frame size and wheels.. I just know liv are female orientated and are made by giant so should be solid.. 

I ride a size 50 Liv Avail - the plumb purple carbon one with 11 speed 105 hydro brakes

The Avail is an 'endurance'  bike so it has bigger tire clearance (I currently have 35mm in there comfortably) as well as slightly less race, more comfortable, stable geometry. 

It is an amazing bicycle. 

I'm not sure about the older models but I believe they were always the 'endurance' bike built for comfort

Before anyone suddenly thinks I am a bearded female, I am not, but when I tried out all the bikes the Avail fitted me the best and felt amazing. The spakle glitter plumb/black fade is also 5 billion times better than the plain red or school boy blue men's range.

OP, you won't go wrong with either of those bikes. It's a bit like splitting hairs over two multi function micro waves when in reality you won't read the manual and will press the 'cook now' 30 second nuke button all the time anyway.

YOU will be the limiting factor long before either of those bikes are. Years, if ever, in fact

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I ride a size 50 Liv Avail - the plumb purple carbon one with 11 speed 105 hydro brakes

The Avail is an 'endurance'  bike so it has bigger tire clearance (I currently have 35mm in there comfortably) as well as slightly less race, more comfortable, stable geometry. 

I'm not sure about the older models but I believe they were always the 'endurance' bike built for comfort

Before anyone suddenly thinks I am a bearded female, I am not, but when I tried out all the bikes the Avail fitted me the best and felt amazing. The spakle glitter plumb/black fade is also 5 billion times better than the plain red or school boy blue men's range.

OP, you won't go wrong with either of those bikes. It's a bit like splitting hairs over two multi function micro waves when in reality you won't read the manual and will press the 'cook now' 30 second nuke button all the time anyway.

YOU will be the limiting factor long before either of those bikes are. Years, if ever, in fact

Take a long time to outride those bikes.. I agree..

hahaha if it fits then it doesn’t matter.. rather a good fit than a struggle with the wrong bike hey

On 8/19/2024 at 9:20 PM, LizMTB said:

Ahh okay, great that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Sorry I was just thinking back and realised I really skipped over the saddle issue like it wasn’t really an issue when actually I’m quite opinionated there too..🤣🤣🤣.. choosing my saddle kept me up at night.. 

but if you do the whole measure your sit bone, there’s guides how to do it online, thing and work off that to get the right sized saddle, or work with a bike fitter, you really dont need all that fluff and a good fitting streamline saddle will be all you need for a lot of very comfortable kilometers.. 😉👍🏻

2 hours ago, Bike Dewing said:

Sorry I was just thinking back and realised I really skipped over the saddle issue like it wasn’t really an issue when actually I’m quite opinionated there too..🤣🤣🤣.. choosing my saddle kept me up at night.. 

but if you do the whole measure your sit bone, there’s guides how to do it online, thing and work off that to get the right sized saddle, or work with a bike fitter, you really dont need all that fluff and a good fitting streamline saddle will be all you need for a lot of very comfortable kilometers.. 😉👍🏻

First things first... padded shorts!! I had a mountain bike for a very short time and boy.., those bruises were something else 😂

On 8/20/2024 at 8:19 AM, Jewbacca said:

I tried out a size 48 liv avail at the bike shop... it was sooo comfortable and suited me perfectly. They have it for around R13k, a new one. I think that's what I'm aiming for now! 😁