12 speed 1x Chainring for Shimano XT M782 (3x) Crakset

johanpre44

My Nephew does some MTB racing for his school en Pretoria and he has a fairly nice (but old) bike, a Merida Big 9 XT Carbon which he got second hand. This bike still had 3x10 speed Shimano XT. My sister and I thought we will spoil him and upgrade the drivetrain to a 1x12 (he was not really doing any front shifting because the big ring was pretty much finnished since he got it).

I got all the parts together to swap to a 1x12 (Shimano Deore Derailluer and Shifter with a Sunrace 11-51 casette to run on the old Shimano freehub Body and a KMC 12 speed chain), but to my surprise I noticed the crank is an M782 and not M780 triple, so the 104 BCD single chainring does not fit.

I have been doing a bit of Googling and it seems like a 96 BCD chain ring with the symetric 4 bolt pattern compatible with a 12 speed chain is a bit of a hassle to find. It seems like Csixx makes one but now to try and find one somewhere.

Any suggestions of where I can find one in Johannesburg or Pretoria?

Hi Johan. I think the best bet would be to contact Csixx and have them ship one to you. 96bcd symetrical might be hard to find unless a lbs has one hanging around . Csixx should be able to tell you exactly what you need in terms of chainline.

Thanks

Edited by Le Crüe Concepts

There are a few brands that do 96bcd, but CSixx is your best bet. You can order and customise on their website and you'll most likely have it by the weekend.