Raleighs RC6000 vs RC7000

Cuzz

Hi

After consulting various shops for the prices of these 2 bikes, the best prices are:

R8150 and 10550 respectively.

The RC6000 (10-speed) is equipped with full Shimano 105 groupset and weighs 8.5kg.

The RC7000 is equipped with full Shimano Ultegra and weighs 8.8kg (sexier of the 2).

Is the extra R2000 worth the Ultegra parts (albeit an eyeball heavier) or is the RC6000 a steal for that price. IE are the Ultegra parts R2000 better.

At the moment i have an RC2000 (2002) and it needs a bypass. Im by no means a pro but i would like a bike that will last a while that is capable of racing as im taking the sport a bit more serious.

Thanx for your input

Cuzzz

Cuzz38817.6409143518

It probably depends on the rest of the components, like wheels, seat, seat post, handlebar and whether its the full 105 groupset including cranks or come other crankset like perhaps a carbon crankset (which could also explain the RC6000 being lighter)

The ultegra groupset isn't that much better than the 105 I dont believe BUT it is definitely lighter. The 7000 also benefits from a carbon seatpost and rear stays. Have your dealer way them, I dont believe the 6000 is actually lighter.

Thanx.

Here are links to compare the 2 part by part:

RC6000:

http://www.raleigh.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&ta sk=view&id=35&Itemid=36

RC7000:

http://www.raleigh.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&ta sk=view&id=32&Itemid=36

In the paper catalogue it says the 6000 weighs 8.5kg and on the site it is 9.0kg.

Think the website is correct. I dont know how to compare the other parts but does the RC6000 compare well vs the 7000 for that price.

Edit: For the links to work remove the space between the "a" and "s" of "task" in the link, otherwise follow the site.

Cuzz38817.6603819444

Cuzz

If you wait a while (2months) the new models will be released and you would pick up the current models for about R2k lesssmileys/smiley2.gif

Great!

Shot, i think the RC7000 for 8k will look very nice.

You mind sharing how you came about this info?smileys/smiley4.gif

actual weights (double chainring):

105 - 2911g; Ultegra 2576g.

I think the carbon rear stays add a little weight to the 7000 over and above the all alu. 6000. if you have the $$ and you are definitely going to buy one of the 2 get the 7000. If money is tight smileys/smiley11.gif, then the 6000 is an excellent bike and probably slightly better value.

If you are not completely sold yet I would look at Fuji and Merida too - just to make things more difficult for you! smileys/smiley4.gif

Ah ic how convenient, a month before the Tour de France, what a coincidencesmileys/smiley36.gif.

Cuzz38817.6807175926

Cuzz

If you wait a while (2months) the new models will be released and you would pick up the current models for about R2k lesssmileys/smiley2.gif

very true. Bike shops get new stock and have no space for the old stuff and if they dont sell it quickly it will be cluttering up there space for ever!!

Fuji and Merida... mmm, better value for money than raleigh? How can that be, if so im interested. Any retailers and links to check?

Raleigh's components are way ahead of the rest.

Check out the wheelset, saddle, handlebars etc.

what about the American Classics you get on the Fuji Chrispy, buying those separate will set you back R4k easy(if memory serves me right)

i WOULDN'T say that they are better than raleigh but probably on a par.

Look at Westdene, Cajees in Jhb or Solomons in Pretoria North. They have really good prices on 2005 model Fujis.. and the odd trek. Long drive from Jhb though.

http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/

I have a RC3000 2006 model at R5499. What a bike. Look in the bicycling mag and see the test. The only bike I have had that addapts to me and not me to the bike.smileys/smiley32.gif