Here cyclists and motorists share the roads.

The Guy in Pink

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Niewe Nickerie, Surinameon>,  SA.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sometime I think it?s as if I have died and woken up in Bicycle heaven

Imagine a town with narrow crowded streets, where Motor Cars,  Motor Bikes , Bicycles and  Pedestrians all share the road, and the Bicycles and Pedrestrians have the right of way!   Here motorists wait for  bicycles and give them plenty of room.

20061106_055803_B13.jpg

50% of the school kids go to school by bike,

20061106_055855_b2.jpg

Guys take their Girls out by bike.

20061106_055944_B3.jpg

And many adults do their shopping by bike

20061106_060041_b5.jpg

It is possible to ride a bike and maintain one?s dignity.

The speed limit is 50km /Hour in town and it is almost never broken.

That speed limit is a joy as on my morning ride I often  manage to motor pace a truck , bus or motor bike.

The only downside in this cyclists paradise is the total lack of  hills.

On my 35km morning circuit I never get higher than  4 metre above see level!

Where are you? Looks like the Philippenes?Some island? Oh duh, blonde moment, check your profile.

Now, where is Suriname?!

The only downside in this cyclists paradise is the total lack of  hills.

On my 35km morning circuit I never get higher than  4 metre above see level!

Sound like heavenLOLLOLLOL

Big%20smile

Unlike yesterdays incident where a cyclist thought he could out-ride a car to the robot....almost cost him dearly had the motorist not braked in time...this I saw on my way home from our club ride...moronAngry

Had he bumped the guy most would have said the motorist was at fault---I was there & I'd give a statement that it's the cyclist who was stupid...

When will both parties ever get to share the road without conflict..Question

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Suriname is the smallest country in South America, on the Alantic ocean 5 degrees north of the equator.

The small country has an even smaller population of only 435 000 persons and Niewe Nickerie is the second biggest town with 40 000 inhabitants.

The Official language is Dutch, with English widely spoken as many people are from the nearby Carribeans and Guyana.

The people come in every colour imaginable.

As a background this is from the CIA world Fact Book   https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ns.html <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ethnic groups:

Hindustani (also known locally as "East Indians"; their ancestors emigrated from northern <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Indiaon> in the latter part of the 19th century) 37%,

Creole (mixed white and black) 31%,

Javanese 15%,

"Maroons" (their African ancestors were brought to the country in the 17th and 18th centuries as slaves and escaped to the interior) 10%,

Amerindian 2%,

Chinese 2%,

white 1%,

other 2%

I managed to fall this morning. I Picked up a truck and motorpaced from town out on the Paramaribo road to where I turn off at about halfway, Turned off the dry concrete paving road onto a smooth and wet tar road.

Got two bloody knees to show, but managed to motorpace a motor bike the last 7kmback into town.  Good Ride !
The Guy in Pink2006-11-07 04:45:14