Frame upgrade

quickdraw

Hope I am not stepping on any toes Embarrassed but does Cannondale not seem overpriced?

everything not made in the east seems overpriced.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well as mampara states:

Cannondale frames are pricey cos they are mostly shipped as complete bikes.

the Frames that end up at the distributors are shipped in for possible warranties and for a few customers who prefer to build over bits that they have.

The frame occupies the same volume in the container as a complete bike so the shipping cost is evenly distributed across the shipment.  that means that a frame ends up at relatively less value than a complete bike. remember, they are shippedas CKD (Completely knocked down) kits.

In essence, the frames subsidise the cost of the complete bikes somewhat.

frames from the east are dirt cheap because the cost of living over there is much lower and the workers are paid  relatively less than their American counterparts.

Buying either Hand made in america or cheaplabour in Asia keeps someone in a job so you makes yours choice and you pays your money.

theres still no other Aluminium Hardtail on the market that compares to a CAAD5 though. Even the Optimo was not a huge step forward in performance.

you mentioned the giant hybrid, I see they do a complete bike with this new top half carbon, bottom half alloy frame, (not just the stays like they used to) not sure what the weight is like or what the price is like  nor if its available a a frameset, looks kinda interesting tho......

those prices for the cannondale frame - thats excluding a cannondale fork right? 'normal' shocks on a cannondale frame look dorky.....

theres still no other Aluminium Hardtail on the market that compares to a CAAD5 though. Even the Optimo was not a huge step forward in performance.

kinda agree with you - I had a CAAD5 and it was a great bike, but the headshok sucked and the BB creaked endlessly......otherwise was kinds nice I spose......

Ok, so when they mention to the caad4, caad5, furio, optimo, etc does that just refer to the materials used or are there significant geometry differences.

Originally had a look at a F600sl (furio) - is that bikes geometry different to the optimo frame or is it just the frame material.

those prices for the cannondale frame - thats excluding a cannondale fork right? 'normal' shocks on a cannondale frame look dorky.....

I beg to differ.

http://video.cannondale.com/images/08/bikes/CUSA/large/8VE1_wht.jpg

Mampara2008-08-07 07:52:38

you mentioned the giant hybrid' date=' I see they do a complete bike with this new top half carbon, bottom half alloy frame, (not just the stays like they used to) not sure what the weight is like or what the price is like  nor if its available a a frameset, looks kinda interesting tho......

[/quote']

Agree would I be frowned upon should i get a Cannondale hardtail and run a standard Reba on it?

Agree would I be frowned upon should i get a Cannondale hardtail and run a standard Reba on it?

And why not?

http://video.cannondale.com/images/08/bikes/CE/large/8VT3_grn.jpg

Ok this is a wuick one, i have a niht ride to get too.

CAAD4 is 6000seies alumimium with wishbone rear stays, power pyramid downtube.

CAAD5 is the same material as CAAD4 but with a lighter headtube, BB shell and hourglass rear stays adding lots of comfort.

Optimo is 6000 series aluminium but with a Scandium enhanced power pyramid downtube. The tubes also undergo more stress relieving and mitring at the joins.

Furio is a CAAD5 front end welded to a Furio rear stays and chainstays assembly.

Mampara - spose you can get away with it will their full suss bikes, but not on their HT's.......the head tubes are all one length and throw the look of the bike way out and they're so big they dwarf the fork's crown - and then you have those h/set adapters.......no...no....no.

A normal fork on a Cannondale HT is not unheard of and does not look bad.

However, the Headshok Fatty is the best steering fork you can get.

the HS Super Fatty DLR 80 is the one to have.

The Fatty DL70 requires knowledgeand skill in tuning to get the best out of it. Very smooth and stiff and once tuned, well damped.

Hmmmm...... I know I'm going to make myself unpopular yet again with the 'dale fanboys (and they seem to have an unrepresentavily high following on the hub), but while there is little wrong with the 'dales, you pay a fortune for them. I can't comment on their MTBs, but I'll say the CAAD7 Optimo road frame never lived up to the expectations I had - heavy, uncomfortably stiff upfront and lateraly soft in the back.

All my current frames are Scott frames, but I'm not going to tell you they are the be all and end all - certainly they are lighter than the 'dales and subjectively they feel better to me, but I can't comment on long term durability. In a nut shell, do some research on the web on a number of manufacturers and see what you get - DON'T listen to the marketing hype the manufacturer tells you - rather see reviews from folks with little to gain from speading BS - perhaps I'm biased because I was a victim of 'spin' from C'Dale with my 'light' 1.36kg (their marketing implied closer to 1.1kg), at that time, range topping frame.

Now I wait for the fanatical onslaught of the 'dale fanboys ('Lefty and a few others excluded, because they at least they appear to understand the 'dale product and aren't blindly fanatical)

I've got a taurine, and i'm an absolute mtb rookie. Got it because i was getting a system six and a cannondale tandem, a little OC i agree...

Love the taurine and lefty combo, light stiff and great to steer. Just bought my business partner a caffiene and a lefty upfront, cause i loved the ride of the taurine so much...did sani2c on it and if it wasn't for the two crashes...what a pleasure. Gave me so much confidence...thing i found with mtb's is tyres are as big a decision as the bike. Cannondale is brilliant IMO. Taurine is reasonable as a full carbon as it's made in China...the caffiene is Handmade in the USA. 

Paulvs had a scale 20 frame knocking around a while back, see if he still has it, wanted 4 K, I think.

many manufacturers bend the truth when it comes to weight claims. I think Cannondale has also been victim of this inthe  past.

CAAD7 frame weights were typically around 1.2Kg. Very few frames made the 1.1kg claimed.

Cannondale no longer advertise weights or make claims for the weigh of a frame since they soon learned that frame manufacturing can lead to variances of 5% simply due to process and operator variances.

Even Scott bikes seldon reach the claimed weight

I seem to remember Kevin Evans riding and alu hardtail for a while, while he was with Scott. A  mate of mine had one of em, a medium weighed 1102 grams on his scale, no pun intended. That said if you looked at it too hard for too long the alu woul start to slowly bend, it was very soft.  Dead