HELP!!! Shock troubles

knievel

I have a Trek 4500 which came with a Rock Shox Judy 1. The bike and the shock are only one year old and it has blown and the bike shop tell me it's can't be fixed. I asked about sending it to Rock Shox and having it replaced under warentee but the man at the bike shop tells me it was due to ware and tear and they wouldn't replace it.

So now i need a new shock but im not sure what to get. I don't wanna spend a fortune but if need be i could go up to R3000. (although that's what the bike cost!!)

I weigh over 100kg's and don't think buying a dart 3 is the answer. The tora looks like a nice shock but should i not maybe spend a little more and buy a Recon?

I don't ride hectic trails but i do work the shock pretty hard.

what do you guys think i should do?

knievel2008-08-11 00:26:30

I put a Recon on a few months ago, am most impressed. I was advised by people in the know, that the dart and tora are simply rubbish.

I don't have disc breaks so i would need something that i can mount me vee breaks on. Is the recon vee break compatible?

where is the best place to buy and which version should i buy? race/sl/xc.

what is the difference?

The Recon is V compatibly. They only sell one type of Recon as an aftermarket shock, which is the race, I think? which ever one it is it is V compatible.

you can read up on the diferences on the rockshox web site, google it, it is in the sram website as sram ownes rockshox.

Anyone know who the official importer is?

If your bike shop won't pick up the phone to find out if they can do a warranty replacement, phone them yourself and find out.

Firstly how much travel do you need, I'm guessing 100mm or so on a hardtail would be fine. Why dont you get a coil sprung fork. If you're a heavy rider they will take more abuse than an air fork will. Then you can fit a heavy spring rate...erm spring...and should work like a charm.

Try The Bike Hut, they normally have a few forks new and used.

Where is the best place to buy Rock shox in Johannesburg?

I have looked at fritz pienaar cycles and the recon was like R3300 if i remember correctly.

Is that about right?

knievel2008-08-11 00:53:21

Where is the best place to buy Rock shox in Johannesburg?

I have looked at fritz pienaar cycles and the recon was like R3300 if i remember correctly.

Is that about right?

Try www.cyclebuzz.co.za

I haven't used the site, so I can't vouch for good service or anything, but I have exchanged a PM or 2 with the owner, and he seems okay. His user name is, wait for it... CycleBuzz. Tongue

I'm sure he can find you what you need.

Don`t forget about Marzochi. I think ist called the Prolo, retails at about R2800. Apparently they are way underrated.

also look at RS tora 318 air solo. it has motion control, is v-brake comaptible, you can set up your sag with air rather than the preload spring. as far as i can tell there is no real difference between the tora 318 air and the recon except maybe 200gms of weight. Got mine at solomons for R2300 with poploc remote lockout few months back. great fork.