Ksyrium Elite wheelset

CAAD5

Hi,

Need some advice...

Bought my first road bike in Feb this year (had to wait about 2 months to get a 63cm frame) and lovin it!

The LBS had an excellent deal on the 2007 Ksyrium Elite's which I couldn't resist. So I thought I'll ramp up the bike setup with some good wheels.

Within 3 weeks I had a buckle on the back wheel. Since then I probably had it trued 4 or 5 times. In between I was riding it with the buckle, every time starting at after 150km. REALLY annoying.

They sent it back to the distributor for some locktite, but that didn't help much. And no, I'm not as heavy as my name suggest - only 83kg.

What can I do???

Is there some kinda warranty?

Wheel is currently back for trueing - AGAIN!

Go to the mavic website and send them a mail, they might help you out.

Did that for my crossmax xl mtb wheels and they sorted me out very nicely. Try it, but also, next time dont just get elites, get the ssc sl's

So it's no use going to the LBS?

They've been pretty good at giving a temp fix (trueing free of charge every time)...

I'll try mavic.com

Try them, if you want a temp fix, the LBS is good....

BUT if you want if fixed for good, try mavic.com or try the reps for mavic is SA (no idea who they are) havnt had 1 problem with my Ksyrium ssc sl's yet.

This wheel was undertensioned to start with and then with every subsequent re-tension, it still wasn't brought up to proper tension. Loctite is not the answer. By tensioning the spokes properly, ramp friction in the spoke threads prevent the nipples from unscrewing.

I also suspect that the person who tensioned the wheel allowed some torsion to creep into the spoke (windup) and then when you ride and compress the wheel, the spoke untwists itself with a sharp "zing" and voila, your buckle is back.

I suggest you find yourself a wheelbuilder who understands these things.

for more info, visit www.yellowsaddle.co.za

Thanks for the tech advice. I have read quite a bit of reviews and it generally circle around tension.

Before getting a professional wheel builder to the party, should I not insist on a well-tensioned wheel to start with? That's what I'll expect when buying a new wheel!

Does anyone have any info on the warranty with the new wheel? I've done google searches and everything on the mavic.com website but couldn't find a single email address to contact.

Also, didn't get a specific warranty card on purchase...

If I'm to resort to a wheel builder - is the wheel recoverable or is it a write-off?

Thanks for the tech advice. I have read quite a bit of reviews and it generally circle around tension.

Before getting a professional wheel builder to the party' date=' should I not insist on a well-tensioned wheel to start with? That's what I'll expect when buying a new wheel!

Does anyone have any info on the warranty with the new wheel? I've done google searches and everything on the mavic.com website but couldn't find a single email address to contact.

Also, didn't get a specific warranty card on purchase...

If I'm to resort to a wheel builder - is the wheel recoverable or is it a write-off?
[/quote']

In a perfect world, the factory should not be putting out crappy wheels but it does. I see these wheels every week. Every week I also get wheels that have been to X Y and Z to repair and they're still crappy.

Bite the bullet and find someone that understands wheels. Sorry to say, but the average bike shop doesn't. I've also seen importers that know nothing about tension and want to tackle the problem with Loctite, glue and prayer.

The craft of wheelbuilding is in serious decline with the advent of boutique wheels and unfortunately the skills and knowledge required to build wheels is also what is required to prep a factory wheel before it goes to the customer.

I sincerely doubt any shop does anything to any any wheel before the customer gets the luck of the draw.

The wheel will be recoverable and should give you many tens of thousands of kms of good service without any attention after a good true and tension.

Johan Bornman2008-08-31 10:11:12

Cool - good news!

Now to find a good wheel builder in CT. I've heard of guys at the BMC (Bike Maintenance Company) - are they any good? Any other pro's around?

JJ Cycling's saying that Dragons Sport is the current importers.

My LBS also mentioned something about them last time, but they were the guys trying the Loctite.

Guess mtbonline needs some updating...

Any news on a good wheel builder in CT??

JJ Cycling's saying that Dragons Sport is the current importers.
My LBS also mentioned something about them last time' date=' but they were the guys trying the Loctite.

Guess mtbonline needs some updating...

Any news on a good wheel builder in CT??
[/quote']

I shall PM you the details of the best wheelbuilding student I've ever had. He lives in Cape Town somewhere.

Hey, JB, ta for the advice on the reducing bush. worked a treat. Thanks.

(sorry for the jack)

Hey' date=' JB, ta for the advice on the reducing bush. worked a treat. Thanks.

(sorry for the jack)
[/quote']

That's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. Which brand of beer worked for you?