Warmups or just shiny?

milky4130

Anybody know what the Pro's are rubbing on their legs in the mornings before the race starts?

I'm thinking it's either something to warm up the muscles or just some lubricant to make their legs look all shiny & glossy?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby oil or "Mark Beneke" warm up rub' date=' they say it gets the muscles "loose"[/quote']

Odd, I thought under the spelling rules seemingly applicable around here loose should be spelled lose and vice versa.

I use Arnica -

pro's

1. It makes your legs shiny

2. It's a great barrier against the cold

3. You slide better when you crash

4. It helps rub some heat into the muscles before you pedal (I have a 1.5km uphill start everytime I go to meet the club)

5. It aids muscle repair 

con's

1. It makes your legs shiny

2. It gets on your hands

3. People don't always know what it is and they think you only use it cos it makes your leges shiny

Baby oil or "Mark Beneke" warm up rub' date=' they say it gets the muscles "loose"[/quote']

I also believe in Mark Beneke's leg rub, together with a warm up ride....don't know if just baby oil will work....

but different things for different folks Wink 

sowhat are the various brands on the market & can this be picked up at the local bike shop?

Baby oil... and brand, I like J&J, add a tube of Deep Heat (to the oil, you might need to take some oil out first) and if you like a few drops of wintergreen oil (available in the aroma therapy section).

Oh, it warms you up, and seriously helps your tanWink

TNT12008-10-13 06:41:13

In our hot summer, you don't get much benefit (other than the tan) but in winter or on cold rainy days it does actually help.

Ask OB?

2 years ago at the Bakwena Classic, Alex Pavlov and I were heading to the start. OB asks if we had anything he could use to rub on his legs. We didn't so he rolled over to the Konica car and asks the same question. "No" came the reply "we only have Q20 spray". OB took the can and sprayed it on his legs. CLASSIC STUFF!!!

Ask OB?

2 years ago at the Bakwena Classic' date=' Alex Pavlov and I were heading to the start. OB asks if we had anything he could use to rub on his legs. We didn't so he rolled over to the Konica car and asks the same question. "No" came the reply "we only have Q20 spray". OB took the can and sprayed it on his legs. CLASSIC STUFF!!!
[/quote']

And now you know where the horse steroids and brake fluid jokes come from...