In the market for a tandem...

chris414

By the mere fact that the pilot steers, brakes, changers gears etc it is a wrong assumption to say the pilot is the one in charge because trust me the stoker can make the bike turn, can stop pedalling and can just plain and simple get off. There is nothing worse than an unhappy stoker so if they say slow down, change a gear, speed up, take the corner wider .......then just do it as true pilots will always tell you that the the stoker is always right. Accept it.

Hi Chris. I was fortunate to get hold of an old Hansome tandem for 2K, saw one advertised for R1750 a while back. I also bought it to see if it will work for my wife and I. Our baby is 3 months old now and she's still breastfeeding. We haven't gone for a ride yet, but I'm doing the 94.7 with my brother in law in it.

Did the Berg en Dale, Harmony, Argus and Vasbyt (151km) on a Titan tamdem this year with a buddy of mine.  With him being the owner of the tandem I was always the stoker.  What increadible fun!  Two is much more fun!

I'll let you know how the Hansom compares to the Titan in a race. The Titan has three chain rings in front and the Hansom don't.  I'm hoping that by rinding q-rings we'll be able to defy gravity and won't need the granny gear...  It might be worth while spending money on a decent tandem.  Like Sandstone said, you'll get your money back if you sell.

As long as your partner is lighter than you' date=' you will have a ball.  Remember after a while you will both more or less be on the same fitness level

[/quote']

Does this mean my wife and I must change positions?

I saw a guy at the Fish River canoe marathon, running while shouting at his wife who was hanging on the back of their K2 while being dragged through mud on her stomach....HAHAHA it was pretty funny but a good example of what can happen if a. The stronger party doesn't realise he wasnt going to be on the podium either way, and stop blaming the slower rider for lack of pace, and b. Take it easy and remember why you got it in the first place. Guys often forget their other halves didnt grow up ramping their BMX's with their buddies from age 6. My wife got approximately 1 inch of air over an erosion furrow on her MTB the other day and was properly STOKED! Sometimes getting them stoked is more rewarding than just always doing it for yourself. (OK this thread is going dowhill from here...)

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Peugeot-Tandem-Dual-Ace-W0QQAdIdZ81081708

Correct Backlash I weigh 68kg and my wife 59kg.

You guys will fly up the hills if fit.

that is very very light!!

I wish I could weigh in at 68kg.

I suggest you borrow a tandem for the first few rides.

You will know after the third time.

Take it easy and be patient.