RavX Beam X vs DIY

Guest Agteros

Guest Agteros
Where are you based? I'm a bit of a lighting nut' date=' about to launch a range of bike lights, but if you're in CT I'm sure I can give you a hand putting something together...[/quote']

Nopes, from Gangsta Paradise Ouch

Agteros2008-10-30 05:27:34

Nopes' date=' from Gangsta Paradise Ouch

?
[/quote']

And a Sharks supporter? You must be a popular guy this week...

Read the lighting forums on mtbr, if you're up to the mission of building your own one then PM me and I'll hook you up with a supplier or 2. Pretty sure it'll come in cheaper than the price you worked out. BUT it does take a while to get everything together. I could also add a parts order to my next bulk buy for you if you want, just depends how soon you want this up and running.

Not everybody want one to last 5+ hours or blind the people around them.  So a basic model, say 2hrs @ 150lumens with either rechargable AAs or batterypack is needed for the short night races around the coutnry.

Droo, if you build them, they will sell.

Guest Agteros

Read the lighting forums on mtbr' date=' if you're up to the mission of building your own one then PM me and I'll hook you up with a supplier or 2. Pretty sure it'll come in cheaper than the price you worked out. BUT it does take a while to get everything together. I could also add a parts order to my next bulk buy for you if you want, just depends how soon you want this up and running.[/quote']

Read the lighting forums on mtbr' date=' if you're up to the mission of building your own one then PM me and I'll hook you up with a supplier or 2. Pretty sure it'll come in cheaper than the price you worked out. BUT it does take a while to get everything together. I could also add a parts order to my next bulk buy for you if you want, just depends how soon you want this up and running.[/quote']

Fortunately I'm on the non-blue side of Boereworsgordyn as I understand that PTA is a very glum place this week. 

I've priced all my parts at Rabtron as they have stock off the esoteric portions of the project. The R1800 includes my start-up costs such as tools and re-usable stuff such as the heat sink glue. Some smaller parts for assembly are not included.

If I take the startup costs out, the project comes out at about R1100(no batteries) to R1400 (batteries - optimistic?)

The main reason for sourcing readily available local stuff is that I still have to get into electronics, and be completed before December (Nothing like a bit of self created pressure)

The idea with the DIY project is to use 3 Luxeon K2 (3x200lumens) LEDs, and to do that I have to drive it with 2 PowerPucks (this from the PowerPuck technical sheet). The total cost includes a fuse, 2 switches, lenses & holders.

R1800 for a first electronics job is a bit steep, as I have actually no knowledge of electronics, hence the investigation into something off the shelf.

However paying a few hundred/about a thousand bucks for something I cannot test beforehand does not appeal to me, and thus the enquiry...

Agteros.  or in English after bull (ie behind the blue bulls)

THE cheapest and easiest option is as follows:

1 x 3W LED downlight (under R200 at ABC Electronics)

1 x 1.5W LED (Cluster) Downlight (under R100 at Lightening hardware store)

2 x7 cm 50mm plumbers PVC pipe

2 x pipe coupling (builders warehouse)

2 x pipe end (builder warehouse)

some switchs and wire

2 times PVC shoulder clamp

2 times bit of steel

A length of self fusing tape

1 x 12v battery (abought R80)

Slap it all together and you have a light for less than R400.  USe a standard car battery recharger to recharge.

If ypou wanna see an example visit blue bull country.

All of that considered, I suggest you go with sampie's idea of the DX torch. Its an evil pig of a light, and if the beam's not right you can always get a new optic for it. Just don't try to sneak up on anyone. Ever. They'll smell the burning foliage from about half a kay away.

Now that I think of it, I spent a k@khuis full of cash on my prototype, and I bought 5 of everything to keep shipping costs down.

@mampara - it's a work in progress. The range will be launched when the days start getting shorter. Keep yer eyes open round Feb smiley38.gif

@mampara - it's a work in progress. The range will be launched when the days start getting shorter. Keep yer eyes open round Feb smiley38.gif

but that's when our night racing ends. Cry

?but that's when our night racing ends. Cry

?

?

Guess you just bumped my schedule up a bit then...

The route Sampie is suggesting should give you far more light (around 400 lumen, possibly up to 900- a bit optimistic?) than any off the shelf system under R2000. Only limitation may be on hours at max light output. Still, adding an external battery pack is not too difficult.

The route Sampie is suggesting should give you far more light (around 400 lumen' date=' possibly up to 900- a bit optimistic?) than any off the shelf system under R2000. Only limitation may be on hours at max light output. Still, adding an external battery pack is not too difficult.[/quote']

The batteries are $10 for 2.        4 should give you about 5 hours on high. Nice thing is you can use it for anything (almost)