@#$%^&* BB !

Piernas Flacas

On the subject, how do you pull a crank of a hollow Octalink crank? Embarrassed<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My ancient crank puller has nothing to push against.Ermm

Special tool required maybe?Disapprove Or a rubber hammer!Big%20smile

As the old saying goes " If the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems looks like nails!" 

Hi ox. I had the same dilemma when I bought my latest bike. So yes. you'll need an Octalink specific crank extractor. Unless you want to try with a small 10c coin to have something to push against as someone suggested on another thread posted some time ago.

On the subject' date=' how do you pull a crank of a hollow Octalink crank? Embarrassed<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My ancient crank puller has nothing to push against.Ermm

Special tool required maybe?Disapprove Or a rubber hammer!Big%20smile

As the old saying goes " If the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems looks like nails!" 

[/quote']

No need to buy a special puller. Cut a piece of round bar or old bolt to fit inside the hollow bb, giving the puller a footing. Once, you've loosened the one side, put the crank with its bolt back and hand-tighten in.  Switch to the other side and repeat the process and only then remove the crank bolts fully.

Even a dowell will work, but only once.

Drive side(RHS): clockwise
Non-dive side(LHS): anti clockwise

Dylan, you're right. But dont assume this rule always work. It is only valid on British Thread BBs. On Italian BBs (marked 70mm instead of 68) it unscrews normall on both sides.

This can still be found on Italian bikes such as Colnago, Pinarello, older Bianchis etc. Edman tells us that newer Bianchis are now British thread.

JB

What is it with this pompous language? Drive-side, non drive side. I just see right and left. This isn't shipping where Port and Starboard is the order of the day.

Besides, the other day I heard someone gave two cyclists advise based on this drive-side thing and they were quite confused. Stick to right and left.

20081102_084911_Drive_Side_Non_.jpg

Drive side(RHS): clockwise

Non-dive side(LHS): anti clockwise

Dylan' date=' you're right. But dont assume this rule always work. It is only valid on British Thread BBs. On Italian BBs (marked 70mm instead of 68) it unscrews normall on both sides.

This can still be found on Italian bikes such as Colnago, Pinarello, older Bianchis etc. Edman tells us that newer Bianchis are now British thread.

JB
[/quote']

Thanks JB, I was waiting for someone to correct me because my knowledge of bicycle maintainence is pretty limited. Clap

LOL These hubbers that sell broken stuff! Angry,

Sorry, I forgot, it came out of the factory that way!Evil%20Smile
Ox_Wagon2008-11-02 09:46:11

What is it with this pompous language? Drive-side' date=' non drive side. I just see right and left. This isn't shipping where Port and Starboard is the order of the day.

Besides, the other day I heard someone gave two cyclists advise based on this drive-side thing and they were quite confused. Stick to right and left.

20081102_084911_Drive_Side_Non_.jpg
[/quote']

Johan, what I was actually trying to say was drivetrain side, which as you said is the starboard side. Anyway, I managed to loosen the BB on the Kay-Eish-Es but I just couldn't on the Spez. I sprayed a lot of penetrating oil and let it rest. I'll try tonight again.

Maybe you guys should stick to knitting.LOL

Don't give HR ideas' date=' Punch! LOL
[/quote']

much prefer needlepoint.Big%20smile

Johan' date=' what I was actually trying to say was drivetrain side, which as you said is the starboard side. Anyway, I managed to loosen the BB on the Kay-Eish-Es but I just couldn't on the Spez. I sprayed a lot of penetrating oil and let it rest. I'll try tonight again.

[/quote']

Don't stress, I just wanted to make a point and add some humour. In the old days bikes had chains on the left or right.

As for the stuck BB. The penetrating oil won't work. You have aluminium on aluminium and there's alu oxide in there. Penetrating oil does not dissolve it.

You have once chance in gettign this right. Make absolutely sure you know which direction to turn the BB. The, put the bike in a sturdy stand. These cop-tube or seatpost clamp stands wont work. If you don't have a good stand, get an assistant to hold the bike upright on the floor.

Now put a very long lever on your BB tool. Find a suitable piece of square tubing and slip it diagonally over the flat handle of the tool. A 1m or 1.5m length is what you need.

Now get another assistant to hold the BB tool onto the BB and ensure  that it doesn't slip, whilst you gently but firmly turn the lever.

If you have an internal BB with splines, see if you cannot bolt the tool onto the BB itself, preventing slippage. BBB makes a great BB remover with just such a feature.

If it is external, you can quickly ruin the tool and BB cup. Be careful and patient.

But, give up on the oil. It only stinks.