trek goes "chainless"

Tumbleweed

20081119_223858_chain.jpg

Trek introduces chainless bicycles
The Associated Press - 18 Nov 2008
Some companies have used direct drive or drive shaft bikes that provide some of the same benefits as Trek's chainless bikes, but those models have yet to ...
Summary Box: Trek introduces chainless bicycles Washington Post
holy roller2008-11-19 22:39:52

Yeh, that sounds good. Instead of having to replace your chain every 3000km you'd only have to replace it every 90000km- like changing the cambelt of your car.

Haven't read the article, but from the pic it looks like a single speed. Will they go chainless on mu;tiple speed bikes as well?

Haven't read the article' date=' but from the pic it looks like a single speed. Will they go chainless on mu;tiple speed bikes as well?[/quote']

lazybones!LOL

they apparently have two models: that singlespeed and an eight-speed (hub) bike.

I think we are talking off-road here, the elements eat components, especially winter months. I dream of getting 10 000 let alone 30 000

I would like to see if the hub one is any good. Internal hubs have came a long way. Those origional Shimano Nexus ones were terrible, but the new G-box etc etc is here to stay.

I think the lack of chainslap and the noise of metal on metal alone should be a winner, especially with the singlespeeders. I want..

the way of the future

with rohloff like internal geared rear hub and a truvativ hammershift style crankset..........

Yeh' date=' that sounds good. Instead of having to replace your chain every 3000km you'd only have to replace it every 90000km- like changing the cambelt of your car.[/quote']

If your car uses a chain for the cams, it'll actually last the lifetime of the engine.  It's not done anymore, because a chain makes more noise.Confused