Bongani's commuter project

straatvark

Bongani is a contractor revamping our "Sewend Hemel" exterior's paintwork etc.

Long story, but near the end i took him in the garage and with a "this is yours" hand over my steel Hansom that i was planning to bring back to life for myself.

This was my bike in the early 90's.

Was a ZINI originally, then with a cracked frame repair become a Hansom with crappy paintwork.

Reynolds 525

Basic Shimano Sport LX groupset that was improved here and there..

Gave the bike to couple of people that want to get into cycling but somehow made it back to me every time when they upgrade. Confused

The next words to Bongani was: "wash it today, then i will bring it to life for you" - So now i still have the fun of fixing up Tongue

So here is a graphic status report of tonights work. (Will update as a make progress)

Before, on the stoep's couch:

20081126_164504_Bongani_002.jpg

20081126_164542_Bongani_003.jpg

Jig, my dream bike manufacturer's handler bar tape was the cheapest:

(i hope he like it Confused)

20081126_164653_Bongani_006.jpg

Trueing the mixture of Wolber and Ambrosio rims:

20081126_164749_Bongani_008.jpg

Bongani's job for tomorrow's lunchtime is washing all the stripped groupset parts.

Straatvark, you are clearly not married or your wife is currently away.... this would not happen in my kitchen Angry

Nice work Straatvark - these are gifts that cost us nothing but result in life changing moments for those that receive them

Thumbs%20Up

Straatvark' date=' you are clearly not married or your wife is currently away.... this would not happen in my kitchen Angry
[/quote']

I can only dream of a workshop like thisCryCryCry.....Cold beers close by, wash basin for cleaning parts close by, handy workbench with chairs to sit and work.......LOLWink

This brings tears to my eyes straatvark ! This was my first bicycle I got way back in 1990 at Bouwer Broers in Pta. My colour scheme was a bit different with all the "shocking" colours of the rainbow on it, like pink, yellow, lime green etc. smiley9.gif What were we thinking back then with the shocking yellow, green and other colours ?

LOL no Skye, that would NOT happen in my wife's kitchen Ouch

We have a double garage, that is double lenght as well - the front part is tiled. That is the workshop, braai & "onthaal" area. That dining table is covered in thick workshop rubber 99% of the time when tools are placed on it. Harder work I do on a seperate proper work bench.

BDuPlessis, the braai face outside as well, onto the stoep where we have that couch etc.

And yes speed devil, there is cold beer (Tafel) in that white block Wink

The Pirate - Yes i loved that bike. Got mine from Auto Extra in Pretoria with my first pay check. The orginal paintwork was black with purple "cobweb" over it - that lighten up when the sun was right. How cool we were LOL

Memories!! My first bike was a Reynolds Le Jeune i bought from Cyclopede in Bloem. It was also those hidious Dayglow colours. Agreed Pirate" What were we thinking" I started by only buying the frame and then every payday bought a new part untill completed with 8 speed 105 and Campagnola Omega Rims with 105 Hubs.

While this project was in progress i was riding an old Peguot Rapport i borrowed from a friend.

It was the stuff man.!!

Old school is so cool.

20081127_024201_B.JPG20081127_024238_SAD.JPG"The Pirate - Yes i loved that bike. Got mine from Auto Extra in Pretoria with my first pay check. The orginal paintwork was black with purple "cobweb" over it - that lighten up when the sun was right. How cool we were LOL"

Well guy's my first bike was a red and white Alpina reynolds 501 tubing with shimano exage i think, bought it from a mate. The next bike was a Bridgestone RB1 blue in colour also bought from Auto Xtra in the late 80's. After that i got the Pinarello Treviso with Columbus sl tubing and a full shimano 600 group set. still got this bike.

Pirate, i frequented Auto Xtra in that time as they were clients of the bank i worked for, pop me a pm with your details.
Team SL2008-11-27 02:42:51

Straatvark' date=' you are clearly not married or your wife is currently away.... this would not happen in my kitchen Angry
[/quote']

Skye, most of those bikes are his wife's!  Well, the nice ones anyway.

Nice project straatvark.  Didn't know you had tools to true the wheels!  JB has taught you well...

Skye' date=' most of those bikes are his wife's!  Well, the nice ones anyway.

[/quote']

Clown  remember it is not about the bike...Big%20smile 

Also, a nice Spanish touch count a lot more than fibers from Taiwan Angry

AND the number of bikes are 50% each when you share the tandem, oh no wait, if Bongani take the Hansom, then I need to resolve the deficit... Evil%20Smile

"The Pirate - Yes i loved that bike. Got mine from Auto Extra in Pretoria with my first pay check. The orginal paintwork was black with purple "cobweb" over it - that lighten up when the sun was right. How cool we were LOL"

Well guy's my first bike was a red and white Alpina reynolds 501 tubing with shimano exage i think' date=' bought it from a mate. The next bike was a Bridgestone RB1 blue in colour also bought from Auto Xtra in the late 80's. After that i got the Pinarello Treviso with Columbus sl tubing and a full shimano 600 group set. still got this bike.

Pirate, i frequented Auto Xtra in that time as they were clients of the bank i worked for, pop me a pm with your details.
[/quote']

Jig, I was dreaming of STI & and a saddle like that, but could not afford it I was a member of NCRC (spelling) and lived in the same flats as one of the Auto Extra mechanics (Rudi Z* if I remember correctly) ? so we trained together a lot. Was a regular on the NCRC weekend rides as well, good times... <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Skye' date=' most of those bikes are his wife's!  Well, the nice ones anyway.

[/quote']

Clown  remember it is not about the bike...Big%20smile 

Also, a nice Spanish touch count a lot more than fibers from Taiwan Angry

AND the number of bikes are 50% each when you share the tandem, oh no wait, if Bongani take the Hansom, then I need to resolve the deficit... Evil%20Smile

Cunning plan!  ...and I thought you were just a pretty faceWink

I suggest you expand your collection of BASQUE fibred bikes with an Absalonesque offroad model!  It is Christmas after all and Bongani can't be the only happy one this Christmas.