Bike Service .....

DRIVETRAIN

Do it yourself to start off with. And don't bother with this aftermarket bling cable housing. Buy Shimano SIS housing off the roll, about 2m, and get XTR cable. Note, not the complete set but just the loose cable.

Important to also get the cable cutter. You can get them from Sportsmans for R130 else your local hardware store will also stock them for the same price - they refer to them as something else (sorry damn meds are making me forgetful this week)

My wife bought me the Park Tools Blue Bible - Im scard/nervous I'll cock something up(even with a Engineering background) I need to be shown at least once :( Im thinking of just biteing the bullet, pay the R2500 and go see John Bornmen for this training course :)

Its very easy and fun to do it yourself. Must say that I had to do it out of necessity (no money) and was suprised at how simple most of it is.

But if I had the cash, I would not think twice about doing the JB course. Just remember that the skills you learn here are relevant for many moons to come.

Important to also get the cable cutter. You can get them from Sportsmans for R130 else your local hardware store will also stock them for the same price - they refer to them as something else (sorry damn meds are making me forgetful this week)

I trust that youre feeling better/or are getting better? :)

My wife bought me the Park Tools Blue Bible - Im scard/nervous I'll cock something up(even with a Engineering background) I need to be shown at least once :( Im thinking of just biteing the bullet, pay the R2500 and go see John Bornmen for this training course :)

hehehhehe I hear you, i feel that way about forks. Don't think you can go wrong with the course, think of it as an investment that will pay itself back after 3 bikes services ;)

Its very easy and fun to do it yourself. Must say that I had to do it out of necessity (no money) and was suprised at how simple most of it is.

But if I had the cash, I would not think twice about doing the JB course. Just remember that the skills you learn here are relevant for many moons to come.

Thats exactly what Im thinking, pay now save later. I would love to do it all myself(barring fork serviceing) If I had the time I would do all my mates bikes too(maybe they can pay to send me, lol. If only)

With 3 bikes now - Its going to defiantly be a wise investment(Will the wife go for more money spent on cycling)

Not much that can go wrong. Just don't do what I do. I fiddle with the bikes before I go to work then before you know it you've got the BB on the kitchen counter and you're late for work.

A good wrenchman can make a HUGE difference. The Le Turbo went to Olaf at Crosstown Cycles for a complete once-over, and I got back a whole different bike: the sweetest little ride I've put my bum on in a long time. Shows my servicing over the past few years has been less than ideal.

So sure, it saves money to do the little things yourself, but then you also end up with some slightly sloppy work here and there. I think it may pay to have a decent mechanic do a double-check every year or so.

Which probably has little or nothing to do with the original subject of this thread...

Crack,

Get hold of Mark Forster from Good2go on 076 895 1576. (Dbn based)

He is one of the best spanner men arround, and will do a workshop if you get a couple of guys together.

Crack,

He is one of the best spanner men arround, and will do a workshop if you get a couple of guys together.

He is the guy that normally services my bike - He lives around the corner from me too :lol: I have thought about asking him - Just not sure how they feel aboiut "losing" business from me cause I do my own stuff? You reckon he would be cool with it then?

Crack,

Are you Durban based as well? Funny I'm going to see him this arvo as well. ;) Ill ask him then

So sure, it saves money to do the little things yourself, but then you also end up with some slightly sloppy work here and there.

I think it's also about interest. I've built up two bikes and done a couple of major services on them. The builds and the first services were meticulous and the bikes ran perfectly afterwards. On later services, I started getting bored and the work got sloppy. Now that the novelty has worn off, I much prefer to have a good mechanic do the work for me while I do other things with my time.

I do think all cyclists should have, at least, a basic understanding of how a bike works and how to service it. It's much more efficient for me to go to my shop and say, "Check the indexing on the RD and I think my headset bearings are worn", rather than, "My chain is rattling and my steering feels funny". It also makes it much easier for me to check things once I get my bike back (even the best mechanics sometimes make mistakes).

I think it's also about interest. I've built up two bikes and done a couple of major services on them. The builds and the first services were meticulous and the bikes ran perfectly afterwards. On later services, I started getting bored and the work got sloppy. Now that the novelty has worn off, I much prefer to have a good mechanic do the work for me while I do other things with my time.

I do think all cyclists should have, at least, a basic understanding of how a bike works and how to service it. It's much more efficient for me to go to my shop and say, "Check the indexing on the RD and I think my headset bearings are worn", rather than, "My chain is rattling and my steering feels funny". It also makes it much easier for me to check things once I get my bike back (even the best mechanics sometimes make mistakes).

Its more the small things that Im interested in too, also time contraints in all honesty becomes the problem(I spend enough time on things cycling) Also for on a ride problems too fix, and just basic understanding all round really. ;)