Unicyclists at the Burger Cycle Tour

JohnnyReggae

Myself and 5 other unicyclists entered The Burger Cycle Tour. 5 of us (Brent, Johnny, Justin, Flo, Dylan) did the 24km MTB leg, and the last guy (Hendrik) did the 44km road leg. Was a good race and we all had a great time. We got quite a few comments from the MTB'ers and road racers with the most common, as always, being "You've lost a wheel", or "Where is your other wheel". Come on guys you can come up with more witty comments than that LOL

We're slowly gaining some momentum and recognition Smile

20081201_044017_AmaOneTya-Burge.jpg

From left to right : Flo, Brent, Johnny, Justin, Hendrik

JohnnyReggae2008-12-01 04:47:06

lol... yeah, i saw the dude who did the small road race - some skills you got there, man!

all for it - the more people you can get, the better. We need diversity (as well as a laugh when you come pip!)

hey! I made that coment to 2 of you clowns near Jonkershoek yesterdayEmbarrassed

Yeah, that was probably myself and Justin. We're so used to the standard comments now that sometimes they don't even register Smile although when there are 2 of us together usually just point to each other when asked those questions LOL

How do you handle steep downhills on your unicycle?

Usually by just using a lot of leg power to apply back pressure on the pedals and cranks. Those fortunate enough to have a brake use that to ease some of the pressure off the knees and legs.

The brakes that are fitted are only drag brakes and are not there to stop you, but just to apply some drag to slow you down. Of the guys riding yesterday only 2 had brakes fitted. One on the 36" road uni, and one on a 29" MUni. I have a Magura which unfortunately is not working at the moment as it sustained some damage on a fall in the forest on it's maiden ride as well, so I still have not had to opportinuty to use a brake yet.

Although when doing downhill single tracks I have never needed one... yet Smile

Where do you buy a unicycle?

The best place to get a Unicycle from is OddWheel Unicycles

http://www.unicycle.co.za

http://www.oddwheel.co.za

They are based in JHB, but ship to anywhere in the country. If they have stock you can usually get it within 2 or 3 days depending on the type of shipping you want.

Speak to Alan @ OddWheel. He is always accomodating and extremely helpful.

Thanks cptmayhem.  That would have been me.  Please just don't call it a "small road race" - the thing almost killed me! ;)  Without any gears and without the ability to freeride, any distance is hard work.

All in all a very nice experience though.  Thanks for the other cyclists and the organizers being so accomodating.

The closest I got to a negative comment was the 678 bikers  that asked "where's the other wheel / half of your bike?"

I'm considering trying the Argus on a Uni, but I may be a bit too ambitious.

Hendrik

How do you handle steep downhills on your unicycle?

You buy a Uni with a smaller wheel, or put on longer cranks.  Both give you more brake control.

Then you kindof lean back and try to keep the peddles from running away with you. 

The downhills require the most concetration - if you bail from the uni on an uphill, it is usually at almost no speed, and you just step off.  On downhill, your do a faceplant which tends to hurt. 

Luckily, it usually happens before your speed exceeds 25km/h, so it is still much safer than falling from a bicycle.Wink

Well done guys!!!!

Really envious that I couldn't join!!!

Keep up the good work and don't sprain any ankles, it hurtsOuch

UNIruanCYCLE2008-12-03 02:49:02

Its the same sort of comments you get when riding a tandem

Well done on finishing though, quite impressive !!

Do they also ask where your other wheel is? Shocked

Can you guys not afford 2 wheelers. I'm sure we can all club together and help you guys out!Wink

Seriously though, why do you guys do it?

Dirtthreath, you asked WHY UNI:

Few reasons:

1.  It can much more challenging and therefor much more rewarding.  (I think I'm quoting Brent from www.amaonetya.co.za here)

2. It is safer - the moment you lose control, you step off or fall.  On a bicycle you can loose control and keep accelerating.

3.  Much better for sight seeing:  Both hands free, you sit straight up and higher for a better view, and what I have not realized before, it  is almost completely silent without the noice of a chain and gears.

4.  Most importantly, it is fun.

That is my answer.

I think if you asked of of the extreme unicyclists like Ruan why, he will list things such as:

1.  You can jump off higher cliffs

2.  You can ride terrain a bicycle can't go.

3.  More adreneline and more extreme.

But Im only guessing here.

I took the liberty of redesigning the Burger's logo.  - they almost had it right but not quite.  He it is:20081204_125953_burger_logo_uni.jpg

Here is the old logo