Unicyclists at the Burger Cycle Tour

JohnnyReggae

Cool, never tried one. I have something along those lines. It is in a state of rebuild so when I'm finished I'll post some pics.

Do that.

And come join us as www.amaonetya.co.za.

We are a friendly helpful bunch of guys, and anyone interested can join up and chat on our forum.

here is a pic of what a 36'' uni with me on it looks like, to give you an idea what it's about.  You also have the MTB version of it.

20081204_135216_hendrik_34_klei.jpg

Looks like you seriously kicking butt out there. What sort of speeds can you get up to on that, and where would you put the inductive sensor for your computer and of course the cmp itself?

Myself and 5 other unicyclists entered The Burger Cycle Tour. 5 of us (Brent' date=' Johnny, Justin, Flo, Dylan) did the 24km MTB leg, and the last guy (Hendrik) did the 44km road leg. Was a good race and we all had a great time. We got quite a few comments from the MTB'ers and road racers with the most common, as always, being "You've lost a wheel", or "Where is your other wheel". Come on guys you can come up with more witty comments than that LOL

We're slowly gaining some momentum and recognition Smile

20081201_044017_AmaOneTya-Burge.jpg

From left to right : Flo, Brent, Johnny, Justin, Hendrik
[/quote']

Er... what about... yay! the circus is in town!

... (runs away, fast)

Er... what about... yay! the circus is in town!

... (runs away' date=' fast)
[/quote']

Run fast Smile We'll send the clown mafia after you LOL

Can you guys not afford 2 wheelers. I'm sure we can all club together and help you guys out!Wink

Seriously though' date=' why do you guys do it?

[/quote']

The best quick answer to the question..... It seriously blows my hair back Big%20smile

It is the most fun I have had in many, many years and despite it being physically tiring I keep going back for more. I could go on about all the physiological and mental reasons for it, but the plain answer is that it's just fun. Smile

Looks like you seriously kicking butt out there. What sort of speeds can you get up to on that' date=' and where would you put the inductive sensor for your computer and of course the cmp itself? [/quote']

Thanks.  I topspeed at around 25km/h on a straight or slightly uphill.

Downhills a bit slower - you have to force yourself to slow down or else you loose control.

A comfy tranvel speed is 15-18km/h.

Since you have no gearing (or freeing) mechanism, your speed is greatly determined by the crank length and wheel size.

My cranks are 148mm, but I can put up shorter cranks for more speed, but less torque.

The surprising thing is that you have much more torque on an uphill than on a geared bike.  I think it is because no force is lost via a gear, jocky or chain.  It may also be since the force is applied on the centre of gravity.

I actually overtook a lot of much fitter riders than myself on the uphills.

Downhills, they obviously free past me again.

The surprising thing is that you have much more torque on an uphill than on a geared bike.  I think it is because no force is lost via a gear' date=' jocky or chain.  It may also be since the force is applied on the centre of gravity.

[/quote']

Do you not get a free hub for Unis?

Looks like you seriously kicking butt out there. What sort of speeds can you get up to on that' date=' and where would you put the inductive sensor for your computer and of course the cmp itself? [/quote']

Thanks.  I topspeed at around 25km/h on a straight or slightly uphill.

Downhills a bit slower - you have to force yourself to slow down or else you loose control.

A comfy tranvel speed is 15-18km/h.

Since you have no gearing (or freeing) mechanism, your speed is greatly determined by the crank length and wheel size.

My cranks are 148mm, but I can put up shorter cranks for more speed, but less torque.

The surprising thing is that you have much more torque on an uphill than on a geared bike.  I think it is because no force is lost via a gear, jocky or chain.  It may also be since the force is applied on the centre of gravity.

I was just thinking about whether it would be possible to install a ratchet mechanism to allow for free-wheeling if you need to, but then you would be in serious poo on the downhills. Even having a lockout would be dangerous........just forget once as you top the rise. Have they looked at something like this?

In reply to the questions about a free hub, or mechanism to allow you to free, the following:

It won't work, since you keep your forward/backward balance by pedalling faster and slower.  If you loose your balance dropping forward, you instinctively peddle faster.  If your balance is dropping back, you peddle slower to pull the uni back underneath you.  If at this point you free, you'll fall on your butt.

There are actually unicyclists like Kris Holm that can freeride - you just take you feet off the peddals and let the peddals run.  But that is very difficult, especially the part of putting your feet back on the pedals.

In reply to the questions about a free hub' date=' or mechanism to allow you to free, the following:

It won't work, since you keep your forward/backward balance by pedalling faster and slower.  If you loose your balance dropping forward, you instinctively peddle faster.  If your balance is dropping back, you peddle slower to pull the uni back underneath you.  If at this point you free, you'll fall on your butt.

There are actually unicyclists like Kris Holm that can freeride - you just take you feet off the peddals and let the peddals run.  But that is very difficult, especially the part of putting your feet back on the pedals.

[/quote']

I dont think the solution is all that complicated then. Why not build a section off the frame that extends forward from the wheel. Connect to this a place to rest your hands, and below it, put ANOTHER wheel. This would sort out the balance issue, and would allow the use of a freewheel. Please refer to the picture below:

20081208_092532_diagramtran.gif

lol, that is sooo funny bustthesickness.

But in all seriousness, if I did that upgrade (forget doubling up my chances on a flat, and other mechanical probs) I would by kindof back where I started.

This is where I started. (see pic below)  Then I started to take off wheels and parts not really neccesary.

If your motto is: "One less training wheel at a time", yiou will rearch nirvana on a uni.

20081208_144411_kerry_training_.jpg