Bike Setup

JuicyUltimate

Did anyone went for a recent bike setup at a professional bike "fitter"? Is it actually worth it? I recently got a new frame and after the rebuild everything felt perfect, correct position, correct hight etc. And my ride itself can't be better.

But would a proper bike setup (apparently it's around R500) actually make a difference? What difference will it make to my performance? I mean will I for example by moving my cleats 3mm forward, or lower my seat post 5mm, actually give me a more comfortable/faster/more effective ride?

I've heard its all about how you apply your body weight to the pedals but would the above example make me lets say 3% (or 30%?!?) more effective on the bike.

Mine cost 250. He raised my saddle about 15mm (which felt like 15cm). The most uncomfortable thing ever. I wiped twice on my first ride with the setup which happened to be a race. After about a week it all came together and I feel stronger and with less fatigue. What was interesting was that the position felt so odd an uncomfortable that if it hadnt been done as a pro setup I would never have stuck with it.

Aaron also did mine (road and mtb), felt uncomfortable at first but after a few rides it came together.

Did anyone went for a recent bike setup at a professional bike "fitter"? Is it actually worth it? I recently got a new frame and after the rebuild everything felt perfect' date=' correct position, correct hight etc. And my ride itself can't be better.

But would a proper bike setup (apparently it's around R500) actually make a difference? What difference will it make to my performance? I mean will I for example by moving my cleats 3mm forward, or lower my seat post 5mm, actually give me a more comfortable/faster/more effective ride?

I've heard its all about how you apply your body weight to the pedals but would the above example make me lets say 3% (or 30%?!?) more effective on the bike.

[/quote']

for that price, they should be able to provide you with a printout of all your data, and diagrams of the measurements.

I did mine at Cyclelab at Centurion. Good thing is I can phone them anytime and find out what was my measurements and they assist me over the phone with the height and frame sizes. Mine cost R400.

Apparently the bike "fitter" at my LBS was sent to the States to the Specialized Academy. He did the bike setup course and at the moment he is only specializing in setting up bikes.

I presume they need to finance the trip to the States in some way.

I had my bike setup by Cycle fit (Hanko, Pta) even went back when i got my new saddle and stem worth every cent.

Did mine at Dunkeld Cycles.  If I hadn't experienced the difference I wouldn't have believed it possible.

Raised my seat by about 15mm, forward by about 10mm.

Different bike, different rider and it shows in the stats.

Also went to Aaron at cyclefit.

He moved my cleats on both road and MTB, changed road setup a bit and man O man felt brilliant. The issues that I had, after going for 2 previous setups at a bike shop, were cleared up in the first few rides with the new setup.

I would recommend him to anyone, Brilliant!

Hanco and Arran did my setup too. also felt realy weird but now it is so much better. Cadence inproved so much and no more back and knee pain. its amazing how much differance a little adjustment makes.

Cycle fit is definately good. They way i understand it itslike cycle lab but just a bit fine tuned. I am starting cycle fit for Arran hopefully in the new year. Just waiting for some stuff so if anybody interrested they can pm me so long. Well also do a personalized setup where i will go to ur house if there is more than 3 people.