MTB bar width...

AndreZA

I'm talkinmg handlebars here and not the alcahol type so peanut gallery can shut up now.

I rode with my standard width Ritchey bars that came with the bike for little ofer a month now. It was very comfortable but I could just not get the bike to go where I wanted to quick enough. So this weekend I moved all the controls 10mm inwards. I moved it without cutting the bars just to make sure I like it before I make it permanent. And what can I say, it did make a difference and as soon as I got home I removed everything and cut it off with a pipe cutter, sanded down the rough edges and re-installed everything.

Just my little experiment this weekend.

Roadies! I think that Ritchey is narrow at 580mm to begin with and now you've cut it down to 560mm! What's wrong with you people?

And the bar-end slide over the ends so you loose another 10mm both sides. All I can say it is very comfortable at the moment.

When i read this this morning the first thought that came into my mind was 'Mampare, you are going to get it from TitusTi ' but i didn't wanna say anything LOL

smiley36.gif Could not get bar to fit my MTB !! And please don't insult me again by calling me a roadie , you just spoiled my day !

We (real mtb'ers) do not ride forest roads but "real" single tracks with trees , animals and criminals standing on the sides . Minimm you need is 540 anyway for good control . So what if there is no place on put your bell !!

Narrow bars do quicken the steering, but personally i think riding twisty terrain is also very much about body english. You don't just use the bars to turn. You turn with your whole body.

Cutting the bars decreases your leverage which will in certain situation actually make the bike harder to steer or maneuvre(sp?)

Just measured my Monkey Lites....about 610mm. No ways will i ever go shorter. Sometimes when climbing steep technical terrain i have my hands right at the very ends of the bar with my hands partly off it to increase the leverage.

Have tried different positions and if i move my hands in by say 2-3cm i just can't flick the bike around as i'd like, especially when having to deal with trail obstacles like large rocks, drop offs etc.

The extra leverage also gives better control IMO because you're not muscling the bar i.o.w it allows you to ride with a bit more finesse.

Just my 2c Smile

In the end it comes down to what you prefer.

Mampara....is dit jou eerste bergfiets?

We (real mtb'ers) do not ride forest roads but "real" single tracks with trees ' date=' animals and criminals standing on the sides . Minimm you need is 540 anyway for good control . So what if there is no place on put your bell !! [/quote']

If narrower bars gave you better control DH riders wouldn't be riding with 680mm bars or don't they do any technical riding?

Mampara....is dit jou eerste bergfiets?

first one that I'm riding seriously off-road.

I've got narrow shoulders and my roadbike's bars are only 44cm. 56cm is comfortable as I tried out of saddle climbing (yeah yeah I know) and some fast twisty bits.

Cool. Ek het dieselfde gedoen toe ek begin ry het. Jy mag dalk soos jy die fiets en jou ry-styl beter leer ken anders begin voel, dalk nie, maar vir nou is dit wat werk vir jou so Thumbs%20Up