Stop muddying the rest of us

40Something

The Argus is comming and the silly season has begun....

On the way home from the gym this morning at 7.30 am (bike's in for repairs) I saw three cyclists motor through a red light without even slowing. Lo and behold they did the same at the next, somewhat larger and busier intersection.

One guy was so intent on following his mate thru - he didn't notice a bakkie about to turn in front of him. If he had been knocked down - guess who would have been in trouble. And the entire scene had a sizable audience of disapproving motorists. I was so embarressed and rather angry (and glad I was in a car)

Come on folks - the next 2 months are mayhem here in Cape Town with motorists and cyclists at frequent loggerheads - we don't need these displays of arrogance, stupidity and anything else you may like to call it. 

Lets show a little class and have some observation of the rules.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always the same story it seems. Some people just won't learn. Drove past 2 cyclists last night, well after sunset, no lights no helmets (no brains).

Good point 40something i am not saying i am perfect and never do it but there is a blatent lack of self control and arrogance around cyclists at the moment i saw it on my ride this mnorning as well i was riding with the tour de frans bunch up here in the far east of JHB and even though i was at the front i still slowed down and stopped at all major intersections and robots and everyone behind me started flooking me because i am wrecking thier average

well guys if i am gonna wreck your average try hold onto my wheel in a month when you have been ridden over by something that weighs two tons!!!!!

How about we start taking photos of these guys and post these idiots on a thread here?

if i post a pic of the main culprit you guys will just laugh!!! smiley4.gif

noticed the tdf/north rand road bunch riding without lights the other morning. sure it's starting to get light at the time they ride, but not that light. 

i ride with a light to get to them and sometimes forget it on till i get home but thats only because its a 20minute ride for me to get to thier meet up point and its dark till we get to greenhills so ya most of them are a bunch of idiots

turtlek, the worst are the idiots that join from lakefield and western extension. at the narrow curve past planet fitness onto main road, i have often had to brake suddenly when i see them at the last minute.

i can agree with you or the guys that just turn in front of the bunch and most of the time a few cars and then when they get flicked by the cars they wonder why!!

Right on time........the daily Cape Bitch......

8 legged freak... you howtengers bitch about the same thing at least 3 times a day

turtlek' date=' the worst are the idiots that join from lakefield and western extension. at the narrow curve past planet fitness onto main road, i have often had to brake suddenly when i see them at the last minute.[/quote']

He turtle, don't most of your team mates live in those neighborhoods?

yup they do but i cant say that anybody is an exception to this thread hey

oh ya see you later bob!!!

Got agree there are plenty arrogant/ignorant cyclists out on the roads today. The problem is it creates a stigma or perception about cyclists as a whole. I think this leads to drivers coming as close a physically possible to you when you're hugging the curb, they're just ticked off with cyclist as a whole and want to vent their frustration on any unsuspecting cyclist.

I must say I sometimes have the urge to squash cyclists because of their arrogance or plain ignorance (for the greater good of cycling). Love it when 2 or 3 riders ride next to each other in peak traffic with the 2nd or 3rd rider basically on or over the yellow line. Do people not grasp that a car will win that fight? This is big on Hendrik Potgieter and in some case I see it on the N4 in Rustenburg (120kph speed limit and these idiots act oblivious, furthermore illegal to be on a Highway, but why not).

Bottomline we need to behave and be curtious as a whole (drop the attitude and accept we are at the mercy of bigger vehicles), this will go a long way to making road use safer for cyclists.

How about we start taking photos of these guys and post these idiots on a thread here?

if i post a pic of the main culprit you guys will just laugh!!! smiley4.gif

hey i had to jump that robot...