Stubborn pedal

sorelegs

Last night I wanted to replace my set of wellgo pedals on my road bike with a set of Shimano, only to realise that the right pedal seems to got what feels like welded onto the crank. I tried everything to get it loose, but ended up damaging both the outside 'spanner' area as well as the inside 'allen key' area.

Does anybody perhaps have any advice on how to remove the pedal or is a new crank the only solution?

Get an allen key socket with a long power bar handle, that should give you enough leverage to loosen it. Remember the right pedal loosens anti clockwise and the left pedal clockwise!!!

Also wondered after a while but i made 100% certain. The pedal is so stuck that the 6mm allen key bent before stripping the pedal, yet it did not even move.

I even tried cooling the pedal bolt down with some CO2 in an attempt to 'shrink' it but to no avail.

Have anyone experienced this before and could you find a solution? I do not really feel like spending money on something so unnecessary as replacing the crank because the pedal is stuck ......

If you've tried, your best friend has tried, your neighbor has tried take it to your bikeshop and let them struggle with it.WinkLOL

I know this is a little extreme but as a last resort you could cut through the pedal's axle as close to the crank arm as possible and with a Reverse thread drill bit it can be drilled out.I have not tried this at home.It has only been recommend to me by my LBS. Needless to say my pedal is still permanentaly in place in the crank arm

Left side clockwise...

Right side anti clock wise....

You did that yes?

Q20 overnight....

Should sort it out.....

Good luck!

So I had this one time on a Shimano 540 pedal on an MTB crank and solved it eventually by disassembling the pedal till only the axle was left.

Then put the axle section in a vice and gently gently prised it forward and backward till it came lose. Patience my man patience ..........

Lil'Ben still using those pedals now and I am using those cranks on a different bike!

Wink

Now I am just wondering if my wife will even notice new cranks .... opens up a world of opportunity. lol!

hey boet you need to eat more meilie pap, it's a sukkel but does come loose....just don't pull a poop string in the process.

Also wondered after a while but i made 100% certain. The pedal is so stuck that the 6mm allen key bent before stripping the pedal' date=' yet it did not even move.

I even tried cooling the pedal bolt down with some CO2 in an attempt to 'shrink' it but to no avail.

Have anyone experienced this before and could you find a solution? I do not really feel like spending money on something so unnecessary as replacing the crank because the pedal is stuck ......
[/quote']

Had a Crank Bros candy fuse to the crankshaft. Snapped allen keys, ground flat edges into the spindle for vice-gripping it, heated up the crank, soaked it in WD40. It didnt budge. Ended up chucking the cranks away. Bought new cranks and now a crap myself every time I need to change my peds.

[btw-the pedals were well greased when installed and were tightened to spec torque with a calibrated torque wrench]

If you can still get a grip on the pedal, extend the spanner with a length of pipe ... then apply pressure firmly but slowly. If that doesn't work, get a longer pipe! But remember, you loosen pedals towards the back of the bike!!!

HOLY CRAP MAN! Where do you get Co2??? Just, you know lyin' around along with some liquid nitrogen and crystal meth??

LOL

Shame dude, hope it works out for the best!

I had the same problem. Take boiling water and pour it on the cranck. This works a treat.

I always put a drop of teflon on the thread when I screw a peddle into the crank. This makes it easier to remove.