Avid Juicy 5

drjeep

I have a set of Avid Juicy 5's on my Stumpjumper and I am experiencing really bad "shudder" from the rear brake. During the shudder they tend to squeal a little too. I dont know whether the pads are contaminated or if its merely what the Avids do.

Checked discs and they are straight so dont think the prob lies there.

Have any other users out there had the same problem if so whats remedy?

My mate had been having the same problem, every time we were riding down hills when he pulled it, it would shudder...He took it over 5 times to our lbs to "bleed" the brakes and change the pads, but nothing worked...He fianlly gave up and has just put hopes on.

I have Juicy 5's (2007) on my hardtail. I use Avid metal pads. I have different sets of wheels, with different rotors on each, and the squealing is normally due to pad glaze. I have never experienced the shudder. Sanding the pads does help for the noise, I cannot say for sure if the braking performance is affected when the pads are glazed.

Things to also check might be:

The frame rear stays for damage, maybe bent or cracked from a crash (hope not)

The rear dropouts, are they solid?

The skewer or whatever you use to tighten the wheel

The hub, is it sound?

Clean the rear rotor with 95% alcohol. The rotor may be contaminated with oils from your hands or chain lube. Spraying the cassette with lube is not a good idea, because some of the lube ends up on the rotors.

I had the problem temporaraly with my TX's got new pads and its kapish, no more shudder

use isoprophyl alcohol to clean rotors and sand pads litghtly with water paper and instead of using water use a touch of the isoprophyl alcohol, i got avid seven and they squeal when wet or dusty.

Thanks guys, I'll give the pads a rub down and clean the disc. I had contamination on my pads and discs on my previous bike but with different results which led me to pose the question.

The glazing issue makes sense as I don't think I bedded the brakes in properly when I got the bike.

I had a very bad shudder on my old hardtail with Hayes disk brakes. It turned out that the rear hub's cones needed tightening up.

Once the hub was sorted, the shudder was gone.

(I think it was the cones - bontrager race disc wheels)