ANOTHER CYCLIST KNOCKED OVER

RickA

Hi Everyone

I hate to start the evening with bad new - I just witnessed a Cyclist being hit from behind by a car on the Tokai side at the bottom of Ou Kaapse Weg. He is in a bad way. Doctor and paramedics worked on him for about 40 min. I think he may be ok - they seem to have got a pulse and administered oxygen.

He didn't have any identification on him, no cellphone nothing. I estimate he is around 5ft8 - 6ft tall, with dark hair. He is wearing black cycling shorts and a blue top & Specialized MTB cycling shoes. He was riding a dark blue Kona Explosif MTB with Maxxis Crossmark tubeless conversion.

The only form of identification was the name Jason on his water bottle.

Does anyone recognise the name Jason or the bike? I assume he must live somewhere in the South Peninsula as he only had one water bottle and didn't look like he was going far.

If anyone recognises the name / bike - please contact me (Rick) asap on 0217851198. I said that I would check the hub and contact the police officer to let him know if anyone recognised him. Then they can contact his family.

Thanks

Rick

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I estimate he is early to mid 30's

He was hit really hard from behind - his back wheel rim shattered, he flew backwards, looked like he hit his head on the windscreen (smashed it) then did a full backflip over the roof of the car and landed face down in the gutter.

His left leg appeared to be badly broken and he was not breathing with no pulse when a female doctor stopped a couple of minutes later. another chap trainined in CPR helped the doctor with CPR for about 20 min before the paramedics / ambulance and fire dept arrived. They kept the CPR up for about 35 to 40 min, and gave him oxygen etc. I think he had a pulse when I left. The paramedics were about to load him into the ambulance.

A horrific thing to see - especially when you are on your way home to go out for a training ride. I think I will be selling my road bike and sticking to my MTB offroad from now on.

did they arest the savage for driving into him??? or did he drive off like the rest of them?

hope he is all good

hope he's ok and f%&k the driver it mite seem hash but the truth is offen coz i bet the drive will say it wasent he's folt

Rick, thanks for giving me the officers number. It was my friend who was knocked down and I passed the info onto his wife, who did not know about the accident at that stage. Unfortunately my friend Craig did not make it - he died on the way to hospital. I feel extremely numb this evening.

Oh man I'm sorry to hear that.  I was on the scene this afternoon and I was hoping he'd get through.  My condolences to friends and family.

Not that it makes it any better, but the driver stopped and is really torn up.

this is sad....goodness. i train there regularly. u just never know when it could be your last

condolenses to the ppl he has left behind

Hi Greg

I'm really sorry to hear that your friend died. He didn't deserve to have something like that happen to him, and I feel really bad for his wife and son.

At least the driver did not run away, he pulled over immediately - He was in serious shock himself.

To me it looked like he either looked down or dropped something and took his eyes off the road, his car drifted to the left, over the yellow line and unfortunately hit your friend. I don't think he even knew what hit him.

The police have all my details - I saw it happen right in front of me and I will be there as a witness when the time comes.

To everyone out there on the hub - NB!!! - Please carry some form of ID when you go out riding - a Cell phone with an ICE (In Case of Emergency) no stored in contacts, or get yourself an ICEID bracelet or one of the ER24 bracelets with your name / emergency contacts / Blood group / allergies etc - It could be very important and try not to ride alone !!

Cheers everyone, STAY SAFE !!

Such sad sad news so early in the morning.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and rest of his familyCry

RIP Graig.