ANOTHER CYCLIST KNOCKED OVER

RickA

My sincere condollences to Craig?s family.  I'm feeling numb indeed.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I?ve been thinking about this since I saw the thread last night and the answers to the problem aren?t obvious. My perception of road safety has been influenced heavily by my experience here in <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Holland, so take it purely as my reference point and not as preachy.  Obviously having dedicated cycle lanes makes it a lot safer, but even where cyclists and cars mix the chances for accidents are lower.  Here are a few points I thought about:

The rumble strips Francois suggested is a great idea.  The lines on the side of the road are painted in such a way that it resembles built-in rumble strips.  I have often looked at the radio/cellphone/etc and drifted and got a warning from the rumbling sound.  Works like a charm and it doesn?t affect cyclists as they shouldn?t be on them anyway.  Much better than dangerous cateyes too.

Driver and cyclist education is required.  Not even Hubbers really know what the rights of cyclists are or how to apply them when the circumstances force you to behave differently.  My son is eleven and he has to do riding and traffic tests on his bike at school!!!  Kids are taught what to do and have to ride tests.  That way they all know how to ride properly and the knowledge sticks with them when they become adults (and mostly still ride their bikes!).  Educate the kids, adults, pedestrians, truck drivers, taxi drivers, everyone!  Use newspapers, radio, tv, internet, schools, workplace forums, taxiranks etc to get messages across

Cyclists are not expected on SA roads.  Because few people commute with bikes, they are more at risk as cars don?t expect them to be there.  If you have thousands of bikes on the road you look out and expect them.  Therefore the more the safer!  Get programs going to get more commuters out there (after informing the general public of course).    I have always had my doubts whether placing lots of signs, warning to look out for cyclists, has much use.  If you have too many signs the effect is lost, but a few well placed ones might have impact.

Consequences are important.  If you ride an unlicensed quad bike, pocketbike or any other vehicle here it gets confiscated, destroyed and you get a huge fine!  You hit a cyclist and you have to prove your innocence as the motorists is deemed guilty until proven otherwise.  This is however a very tricky one in SA, but the first one people want to go for.  I still think education is more important in fighting behaviour.

RELAX.  Wow, it always amazes me how tense SA road users are.  It?s always us-and-them.  We are all road users, we need to tolerate all other road users and get used to traffic jams and ignorant people or people with other needs.  I have absolutely no idea how to fix this one!!!!  Apart from education again. Educate, educate, educate even if you think it?s not working, it will get through to somebody and save a life.

Like that other moegoe on the Hub says:  Use it, don?t use it.

Let?s hope something good can come from this tragedy

Willehond2009-02-04 10:18:47

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully agree with you Willehond....I still believe that the education-part should start at the Driving Schools.  You won't be able to teach the old drivers much, but at least start by teaching the new/young ones how to drive amongst cyclists. Somewhere a long the line that education will filter thru to the older generation as well. 

And I also agree to teach at schools....the basic education of riding a bike on public road.  Not like the kid who told me, when he was riding on the wrong side of the road: "so what" .....

Poison Ivy2009-02-04 07:23:43

Hi Francois

Unfortunately I didn't get the names of the lady Doctor or the CPR surfer dude. The Policeman got their details, however I don't think the SAPS is likely to give their details out.

A pity since they both deserve a huge THANK YOU for working so hard trying to revive Craig initially, in addition the paramedics from CMR (Cape Medical Response) and Netcare 911 also deserve a thank you. Thanks to all of you for the work you did last night.

Rick

Hey Rick,

Good thinking and well done on your actions!!

Its almost 14 months since Glen's accident and Brian's death. Same scenario, only the guy was drunk. I remember being so shocked with the news that I sold my much loved road bike the next week.

This is happening too often now. That Oukaapse Weg  is flipping dangerous.

I have seen many cyclists almost taken out going up. Last week a car gave way for a motorcycle moving into the yellow line and missing a cyclist by a ball hair.

We need cycle lanes like they have in Europe. When we were at the Tour de France last year, we rode for100's of Km's in a safe cycle lane. HOWEVER this is South Africa and it will take a 100 years for us to get adequate cycle lanes.

The only solution is to sell your road machine and stay on your mountain bike in the mountains!! I have no regrets selling mine.

My condolences to Craig and his family. May he rest in peace.

RIP in Craig. To the family left behind, I can only hope that time will help heal the wounds. Please know that every single member of the cycling community is mourning with you in this sad time.

RIP Craig - truly a horrible thing to have happen to you on what you think to be a normal night.

Something has to be done... the rumble strips work, and are a great deterrent from drifting to the yellow line...

Not nice. At all.

I too am guilty of "doing things" that I shouldn't whilst driving. Many many times this has caused my vehicle to drift on the road. I make a public promise here today! I will never type an sms (my most frequent misdemeanour) while I am driving again. I would DIE if my child got killed on the road. And I will never, purposefully, endanger anyones else's child's, husband's, wife's life in this way again Cry. Loads of you out there know who I am. Keep an eye on me!

Hey Rick' date='
The only solution is to sell your road machine and stay on your mountain bike in the mountains!! I have no regrets selling mine.
[/quote']

Once again my sympathies to the family.

In response to vermaak , even staying on your mountain bike is not all that safe anymore, judging by the number of attacks on mountain bikers in Centurion ove the last six weeks.

Hi Jagwil

I was stunned to see the reports of attacks on mountain bikers up in Centurion, and a couple of near misses.  Luckily we haven't had too many of those attacks here in Cape Town yet.

And we certainly have plenty of offroad terrain to ride on to stay busy, with plenty of mountains (as my Epic partner - from Gauteng will attest to after last weekends Epic training camp down here.)

Did not know Craig but I regularly ride that road.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Not a good situation at all. I hope it doesn't hit us here in the WC.

Soon we will be trading in our mountain bikes for indoor spin bikes.........what fun!!Confused

hi all, this is the cyclist who was knocked down in table view a few saturdays ago, thanks for all your well wishes in my time of need. i am sad that i am one of the lucky few who go through these times unscathed, my condolensces to the family and friends of all cyclists who have been lost to a driver's negligence. because i am a survivor, i am definitely going to do something about it, and hopefully people will listen.

ps: and the next time the ppa calls for an awareness/protest ride, it should be on the highway during peak so that the idiot drivers' can see that we there. whats the point of calling it a protest if you obey the rules?

well today's paper tells us that the driver who killed Craig is in his early twenties with no drivers licence. He is charged with murder.