Race Ethics Lacking in "Developement Cyclist"

Pickles

I agree but then they should take that specific youngster to task, not label all of his team mates and the entire organisation.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the issue is as presented by the complainant, surely this becomes an issue for the CSA Road Commission to address. Their brief is to ensure SAFETY and FAIRNESS in racing. They are failing the pelaton by not pulling dangerous riding out, warning, fining and excluding if necessary. Racing is dangerous. Pickles' son was lucky. The person in a coma after the Macsteel not. Comms need to become more vigilant and in my opinion new managers should spend time in the comm cars taking notes as part of their course. The Comms often have too much to handle. In the Macsteel there was one comm alone looking after the ladies. Groot Lem?

Bliksempie was also taken out in a race two years ago by a development rider.......  it happens..  

Everyone here has an opinion,  Pickles I can understand you are peeved, but until someone steps up to the plate and says "let us see how we can help these kids", nothing is going to improve.

I agree but then they should take that specific youngster to task' date=' not label all of his team mates and the entire organisation. [/quote']

Its easy to do that when there are several people wearing the same kit displaying similar behaviour. Not so easy to pick a solo rider out of a group.

Same as people labelling a popular cycling club as unfriendly when they don't wave when out training or jump red lights etc. It seems that a lot of the clubs have addressed their traffic behaviour because of complaints and we all hope that these sponsors and people involved with these youngsters take note as well.

Any sport relies on young blood coming through the ranks and becoming the next big thing - they require guidance and nurturing and looking after over the years. The general public shouldn't have to babysit them if they have big name sponsors on their backs.

This is another subject or topic that has come up several times in the past and almost always gets heated and aggressive with angry opinions or vague and general advice with no real conclusion.
splat2009-02-23 01:48:16

Bliksempie was also taken out in a race two years ago by a development rider.......  it happens..  

Everyone here has an opinion' date='  Pickles I can understand you are peeved, but until someone steps up to the plate and says "let us see how we can help these kids", nothing is going to improve.

[/quote']

what proposal would Samma bring to the table ?

Everyone here has an opinion' date='  Pickles I can understand you are peeved, but until someone steps up to the plate and says "let us see how we can help these kids", nothing is going to improve.

[/quote']

Samma, it?s not a case of someone stepping up to the plate and helping.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If the government wants a development team then it goes beyond giving them a bunch of bikes and gear and throwing them in on the deep end.

Whoever is giving them ?training? should also be teaching them bunch etiquette, bike handing skills, and good old fashioned manners.

When I started cycling many years ago I didn?t have a pro to teach me. I had a bunch of club mates and school friends and that was it. The rest I learned out on the road.

So let?s stop saying that the elites don?t want to give up their times to help them. It?s not their job. It?s up to their coach/trainer/sponsor/government to make sure they have the necessary skills to race at the top level.

Pickles I feel for your son and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

[/quote']

what proposal would Samma bring to the table ?

Slowbee get them to ride with a club,  where bunch riding skills can be taught.  Not at a frenetic pace, but on a training ride.  where you canhelp the kids.

Teach them following distances, how to join a group, how to attack, how to eschelon, this we did in our club and even old seasoned riders thanked us, as it gave them a way of learning at a slower pace and not at race pace where the adrenalin, was pumping.  If i was in SA I would have volunteered my services over a weekend.  I know a lot of other cyclists would do the same We have so much to offer in wisdom.  No one seems to want to learn or take it

My humble opinion

What Jeroen is saying is actually quite true! Although on OU Kaapse weg, in the rolercoaster, going up, a Acsis rider( I am notcertain, but I DO think it is an elite) caused a small crash. Was in the second elite group.Not to serios though. In general, most of the acssis elites are friendly, but yes, some got attitude. But who doesnt?

Anyway, I hope your son heals fast, Pickles.

I applaud all of you who have adopted a constructive approach to dealing with this incident. One thing that I would like to suggest is introducing a written exam in order to obtain a racing license, pretty much like obtaining a driving license. Honestly, I am pretty distant from the ruling bodies of cycling in SA, so if this has been suggested before, please forgive me.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Road cycling is a pretty dangerous sport, people are being injured, sometimes badly, every week in races, and this incident shows that a riders personal safety is often in other peoples hands. In order to race licensed it should not be a matter of just applying for a license and away you go and race. Applicants should have to attend a training course, followed by a written exam, which on passing, they are granted licenses. This can be managed at club or team level. In this way you can teach all cyclists, young and old, all about bunch riding ethics, do?s and don?ts as well as basic road rules (like training on the highway with your bike is illegal).

I think this would greatly increase the safety of our racing in SA, as I will be the first to admit that I am not au fait with all the racing rules and bunch etiquette.

And Pickles, I truly sympathise with your son and also wish him a speedy recovery, but I don't believe this is a 'race' issue but rather an 'educational' issue.

Amazing how everyone jumps up and down almost on a weekly basis

down down in the Cape.

Simple question who has the balls to report the matter officially to PPA/WPC and refer to CSA. WHen we enter races we underatke cetain conditions whih most of us don't bother reading. Blame has been spat in the Ascics riders directions many a time (right or wrong). Nobody seems to be driving an effort to EDUCATE these youngsters on bike skills.

Now I once again ask WHAT IS THE TRANS/DEV WING of PPA/WPC and CSA

doing to eradicate this issue. Are we waiting for a fatality first. The finances for this exercise MUST come from the Lotto funds allocated to CSA so don't use any excuse "we don't have funds"

Window dressing of this nature must END and a proper job done to educate the riders .

A challenge to the Guateng bunch who complain about their asses been damaged by the so called development bunch come and name and shame the clubs/ riders because I for one have many a pic where there is NO POC near a crash scene so it is news to hear these blighters are the cause as well. I don't believe Gary/George squad can be that bad and the Medscheme dudes rides way down in E bunch with the exception of two in either Elite/A depended where the race org seed them. 

Help your province educate your weaker riders for your own sake.       

Thank you all for your advice on dressings etc and for all your wishes for a speedy recovery. Mathew is pretty beaten up, but he will survive to race another day! His confidence is pretty shaken, which is the saddest thing as he is scheduled to start in A group in the Argus (only his 2nd attempt after finishing 2nd in M group on his 1st attempt). He is going to have to dig very deep to go with those boys. You need steel balls up there, and this little incident has sadly (probably) scared him off somewhat.

His club, Cycle Lab Supercycling, have been fabulous and VERY supportive. I thank them for that and couldn't think of a better 'home' for South Africa's young riders to learn the ropes.

Once again, thanks.Smile

Amazing how everyone jumps up and down almost on a weekly basis

down down in the Cape.

Simple question who has the balls to report the matter officially to PPA/WPC and refer to CSA. WHen we enter races we underatke cetain conditions whih most of us don't bother reading. Blame has been spat in the Ascics riders directions many a time (right or wrong). Nobody seems to be driving an effort to EDUCATE these youngsters on bike skills.

Now I once again ask WHAT IS THE TRANS/DEV WING of PPA/WPC and CSA

doing to eradicate this issue. Are we waiting for a fatality first. The finances for this exercise MUST come from the Lotto funds allocated to CSA so don't use any excuse "we don't have funds"

Window dressing of this nature must END and a proper job done to educate the riders .

A challenge to the Guateng bunch who complain about their asses been damaged by the so called development bunch come and name and shame the clubs/ riders because I for one have many a pic where there is NO POC near a crash scene so it is news to hear these blighters are the cause as well. I don't believe Gary/George squad can be that bad and the Medscheme dudes rides way down in E bunch with the exception of two in either Elite/A depended where the race org seed them. 

Help your province educate your weaker riders for your own sake.       

The manager of The Cycle Lab Cape Town Junior Academy has the balls. He has already reported the incident to the various bodies.

well done, now ensure that there is follow up and a speedy conclusion brought to this- none of the bodies must sit back and wait for the other to do something. Hope your son recovers soon. 

When I started cycling I had a temp number.....meaning I had to start at the back, that was very comfy because no big bunches and it let you get use to the environment where you are surround by cyclists.

Few months later I got get a better seeding and I am getting use to the cyclists around me and forming "small" bunches of 3 to 8 guys riding together. I use to screw up there in the beginning because I had no idea of how to ride in a "bunch". Those old toppies shouted at me if I was going to hard, screwing up the pace line or swerving "out of line". I have learned from them and mastered the basics of keeping my line and be a bit more steady in the bike BUT with still a lot to learn.

ANOTHER FEW MONTHS went by and my seeding went up a bit.....now I was with the big boyz, around the seeded H bunch. To ride in a big bunch was a bit scary because I was not use to ride in a bunch of 30 - 40 riders. A bit nervous so I ride a bit more "aware" leaving more space than usual between myself and other cyclists, causing me to yo-yo more when the speed of the bunch go faster or slower, my hands was always on the brakes(a big no no) and brake suddenly when I see a wheel approaching to fast causing other guys to tell me to be m,ore careful. These guys in the lower bunches was a bit more tolerant because they not too competitive and warned me or the odd shouting that I am gonna cause an accident. As I got use to riding with the big boyz in the lower big bunches my skill got more up to it. This means I felt more comfy with more riders around me, keeping a better line because I am aware that there is actually rides behind me, riding a bit closer to a rider and not leaving a gap(by leaving a small gap a riders always move into that gap to get better slip).

Seeding got better so move up another few bunches, NOW I AM NERVOUS!!! F bunch, these guys go quick and they lot more serious. My skills has developed A LOT since I started and feel that I can handle the bunch riding and have the skill to ride with them. I hanged on because I was not use to the quicker pace these guys were going. I was not looking behind me, swerving when ever I feel like it, hold a similar pace than the bunch and not break dead still every time someone in front slows down or when I actually went in front I went through smoothly to keep the pace up. I really started to enjoy the cycling thing because I feel comfy and learned to ride.

To put all this in a nutshell....I had to start RIIIIIIIGHT at the back working my way up to the better bunches, you get seeded better as you improve and also your ability to ride with the group you are suppose to. It took me almost 2 years to get in to high seeded bunches!!!! Imagine I could just ride in th elite bunch from the day I started, CHAOS!!!!. Never underestimate how much you can learn by starting with the lower bunches. Those riders do tolerate a bit more than the Elite riders because they know or can see if you still new in the sport.

AuctionLamb2009-02-23 02:38:19

A me' date=' myself and i mentality!

!

[/quote']

Online Activity
People Online: 99
Guest(s): 62
Member(s): 37
Capri Wheeler, FowlStArt, Clivey, vasago, Johannes, Brighter-Lights, vermaak, The Guy in Pink, Gromit, Nish4, ingsma, TheLegend, Hook It, click, me,myself & I, Oiltrash, Pickles, rock, Voigt, JT24, hot stuff, walker, Skye, connie, Nix TCR, holy roller, Dobby, Jays, Windbreaker, 1Minuteboy, 1kTT, Chrispy, Roux 1, fees, Nothingness, kilroy

Struggling to c what ur getting at here Holy

A me' date=' myself and i mentality!

!

[/quote'] Online Activity People Online: 99 Guest(s): 62 Member(s): 37 Capri Wheeler, FowlStArt, Clivey, vasago, Johannes, Brighter-Lights, vermaak, The Guy in Pink, Gromit, Nish4, ingsma, TheLegend, Hook It, click, me,myself & I, Oiltrash, Pickles, rock, Voigt, JT24, hot stuff, walker, Skye, connie, Nix TCR, holy roller, Dobby, Jays, Windbreaker, 1Minuteboy, 1kTT, Chrispy, Roux 1, fees, Nothingness, kilroy

Struggling to c what ur getting at here Holy
the bold bit.