It had to happen some day

Daxiet

On Friday I was doing some last minute shopping before proceeding to Sabie. I was going to Cajees in Strubens Valley to get some spares when I in removed my bike from the roof of my car in a split second. For those who know the Struben Valley center you may know they have two Steel I-beams suspended to prevent trucks from entering a particular area of the parking lot. Saddly enough they are painted grey with no danger chevrons, or similar. Thus in my defense while trying to ensure I don't bump any car reversing or any pedestrian wondering across the parking lot I never saw the bar until I was almost under it. I tried to stop, but with a fully laiden car and a trailer attached there was no hope. Came to a halt ~30cm too late.

Anyway, in some sense luckily the bike was mounted back to front on the car, so the saddle post took the major hit, then the rear wheel was ripped from the mounting on the Thule, then the arm ripped through my lovely carbon bottle hodler. The bike remained attached by the front wheel of the Thule rack, so it didn't hit the deck, but punished the side of my car.

But in all this I must thank Cajees, they were exceedingly helpful, they got the mechanic to give the bike a once over and did some adjustments  They also gave me a new Thule at a VERY good price.

Check this monster I-beam, grey with a the buildings pretty much grey as the backround. Most height restrictions have chevrons, and are suspended by chains to prevent damage to an unsuspecting vehicle, not these babies, they are rock solid.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/daxiet/TheBar.jpg

Daxiet2009-02-21 23:23:41

Roofracks, not for me, I am bound to have a mishap like this.  You can do a search and see how many people already slipped up with roof racks.

Hope all is okay now and enjoy the race!

See they have a hub section too..  Mate of mine half totaled his Fuji too.  Forgot it was on the Thule and proceeded to park in his normal spot under the car port.  Half ripped the bike to shreds

Glad it was not more serious

Eish, bad luck.

I am one of the roof rack crowd. Been lucky so far but I am sure one day my time will come.

I also do believe that if you ask around you will find quite a few stories of bikes damaged on tow bar mounted carriers. I personally know of a few.

My choice for using a roof rack is that I drive a 3-door and need access to the back and I believe the bikes stay cleaner up top.

Would love to know of any tips out there to remind you of your high cargo.

I had a Thule roof rack. Took an off ramp too quickly. heard a nasty bang and found my bike, still attached to the roofrack by the wheels, dangling next to my window. Frame had come out of the upright arm which is supposed to hold it in place. No damage to my wife's car but derailleur hanger broken, derailleur damaged . total cost about R2500.

Probably my own fault for going too fast. I sold the roofrack shortly afterwards.

In your own garage/carport you can put a simple plastic crate where you park your car whenever use the roof carrier.  That'll remind you when you get back home.

I'm not sure about parking lot / trees / low flying aeroplanes warnings.

Eish, Berend. Trying to get your bike to match your face? Wink

I will never use a roof rack for the simple fact that I know I will

do this. With me, it's not a case of "if", but "when"...

Good to hear of Cajees helping you out...

On the N1 toll gates you also find they have these hanging weights so that trucks do not go in the wrong lanes....my old man hit one of them, luckily no damage but I think he was quite lucky..

Is that center in the picture in Boksburg by any chance? Looks like the same place I cycled past on my way home from the Carnival race.

Boksburg. no epoh. its along hendrik potgieter in the west rand.

Cool thanks dude. Thanks for the heads up Daxiet, sorry about the damage.

Well I seriously hope that if nothing else the center management change the I-beam to a red and white chevron suspended by chains. Having a bike shop behind those things will result in many others suffering the same frustration if not more.

I went to the airport directly after this to pick up a friend and there you see perfect examples of height restriction boards. If only they had the same at this center.

Must say since ripping the bike off the roof I even cringe going under bridges. I however won't get rid of my Thule racks, they are awesome. Just need to look skywards for poorly designed height restrications Embarrassed.

On Friday I was doing some last minute shopping before proceeding to Sabie. I was going to Cajees in Strubens Valley to get some spares when I in removed my bike from the roof of my car in a split second. For those who know the Struben Valley center you may know they have two Steel I-beams suspended to prevent trucks from entering a particular area of the parking lot. Saddly enough they are painted grey with no danger chevrons' date=' or similar. Thus in my defense while trying to ensure I don't bump any car reversing or any pedestrian wondering across the parking lot I never saw the bar until I was almost under it. I tried to stop, but with a fully laiden car and a trailer attached there was no hope. Came to a halt ~30cm too late.

Anyway, in some sense luckily the bike was mounted back to front on the car, so the saddle post took the major hit, then the rear wheel was ripped from the mounting on the Thule, then the arm ripped through my lovely carbon bottle hodler. The bike remained attached by the front wheel of the Thule rack, so it didn't hit the deck, but punished the side of my car.

But in all this I must thank Cajees, they were exceedingly helpful, they got the mechanic to give the bike a once over and did some adjustments  They also gave me a new Thule at a VERY good price.

Check this monster I-beam, grey with a the buildings pretty much grey as the backround. Most height restrictions have chevrons, and are suspended by chains to prevent damage to an unsuspecting vehicle, not these babies, they are rock solid.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/daxiet/TheBar.jpg

[/quote']

Where, where, I can't see a beam.

Bummer man, sorry to hear!