First Triathlon

Gumpole

Did my first Triathlon yesterday and had a great race... enjoyed it immensely even if it didn't go very well.

The swim wasn't as bad as I expected and after the initial 'washing machine effect' at the start it was quite fun, must say it is very tricky to swim in a straight line when you dont have lanes so I switched between breast stroke and crawl to make sure I was travelling in the right direction. Most difficult thing was swimming through the grass/reeds at the second bouy. Didn't have my HRM on so have no idea how slow this leg went.

Transition area was tricky most guys run in, slipped on shoes and helmet and ran off with bikes. I had to put on a cycling shirt which was amazingly difficult when you are in a rush and completely wet. Lost about 20 places in the transition area LOL.

Cycle leg was lekker - 4 10km laps with NO cars. drafting is obviously illegal so there are no bunches. I felt like I was really going fast until the leaders lapped me. sh*t those TT bikes go fast! Anyway I spent the time trying to keep my HR at around 160; and not draughting.

The course was quite tricky - a 'T' shape with three 180 degree turns on normal roads! Finished the bike leg in 69 minutes which was better than I expected and my legs still felt quite good.

Change into running shoes was quick and I was off on the last leg feeling strong. Then about 1km later my body just seemed to hit the wall. I felt completely stuffed and the heat was incredible.. what sane person could run in 30+ degrees? The run was tough - also 4 short laps partially on pavement, partially on road. I took it slowly to avoid walking later and eventually finished in about 53 minutes. I was surprised because it felt a LOT slower. But apparently the 10k run in a triathlon is only 9.7km long (these triathletes are Confused)

Overall I did 2:06 + ? for swim leg = ? (hope they are better than WT with posting results)

I'd recommend this to any cyclist as a great fun alternative to road races with 2 reservations:

8am is bloody late to start a race, especially when you have to run at the end of it. Visibilty is perfect at 6-7am and water is the same temperature so why not start earlier. I felt really sorry for the guys doing the sprint triathlon which started at 10am!

race isn't cheap - R250, and while the road closure is appreciated they only use about 8km of road in total.

how much training did you do?

where diod you finish in the field?

training started in earnest 1st January

Training was doing 30 - 60 lengths twice a week in gym,

Spinning class or 45 minutes on stationary bike twice a week

Longish (7-9km) run on road and another 20 minute on treadmill.

and a weekend 40-60k ride.

I would definitely say that the I overlooked the running leg and will need to get a lot fitter before i try the next one

The Sprint was HOT!!!! I cooked out on the run! Angry  That's about the same colour as my shoulders today smiley1.gif

The bike loop was only 9.7km.  The run was a bit longer than before, think this was to compensate for the short bike.

I agree, the race should start at 7am.  Felt really bad for those doing the sprint.  It was boiling yesterday.

And maybe by SA's we'll have a settled swim course.  It has been different at each of the 3 races!!

On the plus, riding and running with 100% closure is almost priceless.

thx AdS, found the link eventually.

Run leg cant have been 10km, no ways I could shuffle along so slow and still do 52 minutes.

I think the swim leg was very short as well. Unless swimming in open water is much EASIER than a pool. With all the swimming in the wrong direction, bumping people and breast stroke I still swam faster than I have ever done in my life in a pool.Unhappy

As an aside, I saw a lot of people with HRMs on the swim. Are polar 725 waterproof?? Embarrassed

I have a 720i, and it is fine to swim with. The hr belt tends to slip of your chest if you are not wearing a trisuit or wetsuit.

The swim was very close to exactly 1500m.  The run was quite accurate as well.  Can anyone confirm that wore a ForeRunner?

I've got a 725 and always swim with it, no prob.  So bring it along next time, just take it off the bike first.Wink

Had my feet properly 'tested' by some New Balance people and had a shoe recommended, which I'll try. Heading to their outlet later this week. Hoping to try a few X-terra's / Tri-'s in the next few months before Spring season. Physio has ok'd the fat man to run 5km's at a time..

Should be fun considdering I've only really cycled the past 8 years..