Numb fingers & side of hand

moo2u

No ok' date=' seriously, I had the same problem as you did. I couldn't even wipe the toilet bowl properly without pain. :)

Only thing I changed was from campy to shimano. The smaller grips just must have pinched something.

As for you, you can try adding a gel pad just beneath the tape where your outer palm (like the karate chop part) rests on the bars. It will alleviate the pressure a bit. If you can't find any try doubling up on the tape or getting some heavoer padded gloves. The pressure is making the nerves become inflammed and thus post ride pain. Pins and needles is from nerve being suppressed.

[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLLOL Ya Im sure the toilet bowl was only half your problem

• 1 month later...

I also suffer from numb fingers and have been following all the advice on this thread - with limited success I might add. Even on short 20km rides I am getting sore.

Last Wed I had my bike set up by Jason of Leighs cycles in Durban. He immediately picked up that I was riding with straight arms and said this would lead to sore hands and sore shoulders!!

I rode 80km on Sat and 40km on Sunday with my arms bent like a pro - hey presto - no more sore hands!!!! Although I must say my neck is stiffBig%20smile

Carpal Tunner Syndrone will generally cause numbness stretching from the thumb to the middle of the ring finger. Whenever you mention numb fingers someone will inevitably immediately think 'carpal' since it's a more common condition.

However, if the numbness affects the lower half of the ring finger, the pinky and the lower part of the palm, it's as a result of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.

It's as a result of the ulnar nerve being compressed where it passes through the cubital tunnel on the outside of the elbow.

I can't find the website where I got my initial info a few months ago, but this should help

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=8

I'm pretty close to booking an appointment with a doc as I get it OFF the bike. I tend to sleep with my arms bent and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with zero feeling or movement of any kind in my lower arms. Short term effects are minor since feeling returns within 30 seconds of straightening my arm/s, but there can be longterm problems in that it's possible I might sleep for an hour or two in said position and the long periods of numbness can over time lead to muscle degeneration. Not a comforting thought.

It is highly likely that since you only experience it on the bike that you would just need to change position on the bars.

You could also do exercises to improve the ability of the nerve to slide through the cubital tunnel. This basically entails extending your arm ahead of you and using your other hand to stretch the hand down as far as it will go for a few seconds and then stretching it as far as it will go in the opposite direction. To 10 reps 3-4 times a day.

If it persists you should obviously see a doc.

However' date=' if the numbness affects the lower half of the ring finger, the pinky and the lower part of the palm, it's as a result of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.

It's as a result of the ulnar nerve being compressed where it passes through the cubital tunnel on the outside of the elbow.

I'm pretty close to booking an appointment with a doc as I get it OFF the bike. I tend to sleep with my arms bent and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with zero feeling or movement of any kind in my lower arms. Short term effects are minor since feeling returns within 30 seconds of straightening my arm/s, but there can be longterm problems in that it's possible I might sleep for an hour or two in said position and the long periods of numbness can over time lead to muscle degeneration. Not a comforting thought.

It is highly likely that since you only experience it on the bike that you would just need to change position on the bars.

You could also do exercises to improve the ability of the nerve to slide through the cubital tunnel. This basically entails extending your arm ahead of you and using your other hand to stretch the hand down as far as it will go for a few seconds and then stretching it as far as it will go in the opposite direction. To 10 reps 3-4 times a day.

If it persists you should obviously see a doc.

[/quote']

I have had this for about 2 months now.

Got it from sleeping on my stomach for 3 weeks after an eye operation.

I am having treatment for the problem and have been given a series of special exercises.  

See a doctor SOONER rather than LATER.

I had the same problem. I read it is due to you core. Core weakness cuase you to press to hard on the handle bars. I strengthen my core(lots of sit ups and the plank) problem gone. Wife and brother in law had same core exercise fixed it.