Is it a sign to call it quits???

Kent

Bad luck on the bike happens cyclic, last year within a space of 3 months i had 2 bike vs car crashes, my crank come off after a botched service, numerous punctures including my front tyre blow out going downhill and flu.

Touch wood nothing bad so far this year
scotty2009-03-13 00:07:22

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer.....Mountain Biking

Listen to your piers' date=' MTB is king. And it's alot safer.
[/quote']

I beg to differ. One suffers many many more falls in MTB than road. I tried MTB and fell 4 times in my first race and 2 in my second - none of them were my own fault

On the road I have only had 1 fall in 2,5 years!!!

Last year on a training ride on a MTB, I went over the handlebars and broke both hands and wore a neck brace for 3 months.

Since then I have heard so many horrific MTB stories.

Folks - MTB is DANGEROUS!! Stick to the road.

Ppppfff, I will take my chances on the dirt thanks?there is no unexpected cars, trucks?taxis! Might have the occasional snake, leopard, bush bucks, tortoise, fallen down tree, spider webs?.but still..soooooooo much better? Wink

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Dirt is king...

Seeing as its friday , and we have loads of time to talk crap, I decided to add my bit.

Kent & and the rest - we are in a dangerous sport, we know that before we start doing it. Riding yr bike as a kid, I am sure you also had mishaps - falls, mechanical probs, punctures, etc. Its part of the game we choose, whether MTB or Road. No one is safe on a bike irrespective of wher you ride, on the road there are many hazards, cars are a big danger, etc. The speed on the road makes it even more dangerous during races etc, MTB is just as dangerous if you do not have the skills, even then its still a danger. Rember Andrew M broke his collarbone last year at Sani - not neccessarily due to lack of skills, but due to the nature of the sport.

Punctures come and go, if they persist invest in better(tougher/stronger) tyres. You create your own luck.

If you wanna give up because of what has happened, you'll probably end up giving up whatever you try next. Its part of your character to either stick it out during difficult times, or just quitt.

My advice - stay on yr bike, find out whether you enjoy road or MTB most, and stick to it.

Why did you use carbon wheels in strong winds (Argus)

Maybe you must stop moaning, just concentrate a bit more.

I remember you last year at Burger ride, You started to attack over white line and the car came past us. It just miss you and I thought you were a bit mad. You need to be calm. 

Don't give up and you will only learn when things goes wrong.

The answer.....Mountain Biking

?

Listen to your piers' date=' MTB is king. And it's alot safer.
[/quote']

?

I beg to differ. One suffers many many more falls in MTB than road. I tried MTB and fell 4 times in my first race and 2 in my second - none of them were my own fault

?

On the road I have only had 1 fall in 2,5 years!!!

?

Last year on a training ride on a MTB, I went over the handlebars and broke both hands and wore a neck brace for 3 months.

?

Since then I have heard so many horrific MTB stories.

?

Folks - MTB is DANGEROUS!! Stick to the road.

?

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

My boss is a very good canoeist and he told me that before you are allowed to do river race, you have to go for a competency test to see if you can actually paddle in a river and get yourself out of trouble. It amazes me that they don't do the same for MTBing.

Dude. Awareness. thats all it comes down too. I can say in 15 years of cycling that i have avoided almost all the crashes and even punctures too. Just anticipate all ways what they going to do. Think for them.  

Dude. Awareness. thats all it comes down too. I can say in 15 years of cycling that i have avoided almost all the crashes and even punctures too. Just anticipate all ways what they going to do. Think for them.  

Mmmmmm, can you anticipate a puncture?..<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Why did you use carbon wheels in strong winds (Argus)

Maybe you must stop moaning' date=' just concentrate a bit more.

?

I remember you last year at Burger ride, You started to attack over white line and the car came past us. It just miss you and I thought you were a bit mad. You need to be calm.?

?

Don't give up and you will only learn when things goes wrong.
[/quote']

Yes while we are all moaning at each other. Even if he attacked i presume you did nothing but followed him and sucked his wheel? I only make this comment as Day 3 of the TDB you did nothing but this for at least 100km smiley2.gif you seemed to have mastered the art of give a dead wheel when forced to work in the front. On the other hand i know it was a tough day for all of us but the stangest thing was in the last 500m you insisted to work infront to get a better placing. smiley1.gif

Mmmmmm' date=' can you anticipate a puncture?..

[/quote']

i normally anticipate that the glass in the road will give me a puncture....