BIKE JACKINGS DETAILS

mallo

Hi Hubbers

To all those who has been jacked since December or those who know the persons jacked please either attend or give us your details as to your jaking including the bike make and colours and place of jacking.

The rapid resonse unit reservists section will be helping us on this.

Meeting on Thursday evening at 52 Maraisburg road Bosmont @20H30. Thanks for the use of your house ZAC.

Mallo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mallo I also sent out a post telling people to be carefull at the corner of HP and Ontdekkers...

Guest Michelle
markymark: Glad that you are okay!!  Were you on your new bike??? There aren't exactly many of those around! 

Thanks michelle

unfortunately on the Madone 6.9.

Not many size 60 around,have been to a few pawn shops in the area but no luck

Guest Michelle

If anyone sees one of these in a size 60 please let us know...

20090317_012354_viewimg.php.jpg

I hope we can work something out with the rapid responce on Thursday and catch these guys.....

There is a market out for these bikes and we just need to catch one for him to tell us who is buying them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Mallo,

Will make an effort to get to the meeting but this depends on how the week goes, leaving for Epic first thing Friday.  If I don't make it I would still like to get involved in solving this problem.  I lost my bike at the R21 Engen on Feb 21.  My bike was a Scott Spark 30, Black with white / gold trim (i think it is the 2007 colour scheme).  The other bike lost during that incedent was a red Titus RacerX.  I could id my bike from various scratches and dings and the cycle shop has the frame serial number etc.

Hi Mallo' date='

Will make an effort to get to the meeting but this depends on how the week goes, leaving for Epic first thing Friday.  If I don't make it I would still like to get involved in solving this problem.  I lost my bike at the R21 Engen on Feb 21.  My bike was a Scott Spark 30, Black with white / gold trim (i think it is the 2007 colour scheme).  The other bike lost during that incedent was a red Titus RacerX.  I could id my bike from various scratches and dings and the cycle shop has the frame serial number etc.
[/quote']

Sorry to hear. Did you manage to get a new Scott for the Epic?

I don't think those bikes end up in pawn shops. In many, many years of scouring pawn shops I've never seen a top-end bike there.

I think the bike gets stripped and sold as parts. There is a healthy trade in bike parts, as evident even here on The Hub. Some of those parts are from hi-jacked bikes.

The business is very similar to car chop shops. The returns are Ok but the risks infinitely lower since you can run a chop shop from your lounge, not even your wife will suspect you.

Hi Mallo' date='

[/quote']

Yes, cost a fortune but I was too scared to change to something else so close to the big day.  First time I rode it was day 1 of Sani2c, nothing like a bit of pressure

Thumbs%20Up

First we get robbed at gunpoint in any open area having a picnic or something, house robberies make us live under lock & key / then Mountain bikers are being jacked / now roadies are as well ??????

I've done a short ride with a roadie the other day & both he and his brother was jacked on Ontdekkers between McDonalds & Flora Centre --

We have to watch our backs while out riding - cannot even enjoy the pain of cycling itself without worrying who's targeting U !!!

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Its on the West Rand

If you take the Maraisburg off ramp and turn left that is Bosmont....thats coming from 14th avenue.....

where you coming from

Hi Mallo' date='

[/quote']

Yes, cost a fortune but I was too scared to change to something else so close to the big day.  First time I rode it was day 1 of Sani2c, nothing like a bit of pressure

Yes, it can take a while to get used to a new bike. I got my new Scott early December, so I have had it long enough to do the Epic.

I don't think those bikes end up in pawn shops. In many' date=' many years of scouring pawn shops I've never seen a top-end bike there.

I think the bike gets stripped and sold as parts. There is a healthy trade in bike parts, as evident even here on The Hub. Some of those parts are from hi-jacked bikes.

The business is very similar to car chop shops. The returns are Ok but the risks infinitely lower since you can run a chop shop from your lounge, not even your wife will suspect you.

[/quote']

I agree with you. I also believe there must be some snakes in the industry buying this stuff and recycling it.  I was just looking at the components on the bikes of the group I rode with on Saturday.  I think 5 of the 7 had Sram X0, also decent forks etc.  All of these components are going to sell easily if the bikes are stripped down.  Doesn't matter if you never sell the frame.