MTB Riding in Joburg

Desertbob

Hi All,

I've just moved to back to SA and was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on good group rides around the Joburg area.

I'm looking for a reasonably challenging mountain bike group (challenging in terms of route and pace... not the people's personalities please!!)

Weekends or weekdays in the early morning or evening.

What do the rest of you who live here do to ride? 

I'm staying in Parkview, but I dont mind travelling (a little) to get to a decent trail... as long as I dont have to deal with traffic. How do you people handle the traffic in this place?! Enough to drive me nuts

Hey Desert Bob, I ride with a mate religiously on Sat mornings at about 6am. We ride for +-2.5hrs at a pretty steady pace which obviously depends on the terrain. We ride places like the spruit, northern farms, linksfield ridge. You more than welcome to come along.

Yes! I joined last year. Plenty of nice rides and not very race-snake orientated, which I think is what makes it so nice. Also go riding in more unusual places, like the CBD, Chicken Pie trail etc.

From parkview the only morning options for the working guy is the spruit "highway" and variants without getting in a gas guzzling car before work. The bike park off main is also open early if you heading in that direction and are ok to drop R50 per ride. There is also a really cool crew in Parkhurst area called swampdogs, their membership is full but you will definately see them around, for info just ask Mike at mikes bikes about joining their list for next year as membership is capped. They do ride mornings and weekends, also have a cool bike farm out of town!

Turtlek we meet at the BP garage on North rand Road tuesday wednesday friday at 4:50am and on thursday @ 4:30 for hills