Traffic rules For cyclist?

Alien Racer

Can anyone  shed some info on this question?

How much of the road is a cyclist allowed to use according to the road traffic rules. For example riding along a straight road, what does the rule say how much space am i allowed to use without interfering with regular road users?

Any cycling traffic cops that can help or a Road commisaire, would be appretiated

Thanks!

If you ride a MTB you do not need to worry about rules of the road, it's offroad all the way Wink

OK, I'll go get my coat...

there are unfortunately a few traffic lights between me and the dirt, nathrix.

raleighman, there used to be rules on arrivealive.co.za; couldn't find it now, maybe because some of them were a little impractical - e.g. they used to advocate that a cyclist take up space ... use 1 metre of the road, so that there's place for you to swerve. don't know if that was law, or just someone's idea of what would be safe.

the rules are irrelevant, though. when i'm dead, theres no use telling the taxi that he wasn't supposed to turn out of that lane. So when i'm in traffic i pretend that i'm totally invisible.

i have found that i'm far more visible when i get off the bicycle and push it over a busy intersection, rather than riding it - cars often make a gap for me when i'm standing next to my bicycle, but practiing trackstands while waiting for a traffic light to turn green, makes you even more invisible than usual.

search the hub for mamparra's tips on cycling safety - they are worth far more than rules and laws.

cat-i2009-03-24 13:42:02

The law allows for between 1 and 1.5m between the kerb and the traffic.

I know it's not much, but it's there. Just be vigilant at all times, and ride aggressively - not defensively.

I don't mean shouting and swearing at every single motorist, or blowing your top when you get hooted at... I just mean that you have to make your own room, and make sure the guys see you, and appreciate the fact that you're smaller. Indicate, and say thankyou...

The law is pretty simple - a bicycle is a vehicle and is therefore fully entitled to any portion of the lane.  However, you may encounter a bit of resistance from other vehicles.  General rule of thumb is to be visible first and courteous last.  Riding inside the yellow line may seem like a good idea, but most often that is where people are killed.  Add to that the fact that riding inside the yellow line is against the law (as is riding on the pavement or riding facing oncoming traffic).

Don't get worked up if people hoot at you, it at least means they've seen you.  If they get offensive, I get offensive back.  Choose how you want to respond.

As for all the MTB only comments - real cyclists are commuters.  Everything else is just posing.

cat-i, do whatever is required to stay safe but unfortunately that will just become more and more difficult until it is really a case of being forced off the road completely. The mtb'ers who make a big thing of staying off the road like it's somehow an achievement don't seem to realise that this it's actually an acceptance of a lost cause.

The challenge is to try to reverse the problem. So understand your rights as a cyclist, impose them where it is safe & reasonable and try to educate others about them. Then maybe one day we will all be safe on the roads. In the meantime do what it takes to be safe.

I know it's not much' date=' but it's there. Just be vigilant at all times, and ride aggressively - not defensively.

I don't mean shouting and swearing at every single motorist, or blowing your top when you get hooted at... I just mean that you have to make your own room, and make sure the guys see you, and appreciate the fact that you're smaller. Indicate, and say thankyou...
[/quote']

Dos it say so in the little black book of traffic laws already?

I understood this was been put forward to be promulgated but was still more of a suggestion at this point.

What law would that be? I agree with linnega on this. a Bycicle is a vehicle in terms of the National Road Traffic Act, 93 of 1996. The same rules apply for you as for any other vehicle.

What law would that be? I agree with linnega on this. a Bycicle is a vehicle in terms of the National Road Traffic Act' date=' 93 of 1996. The same rules apply for you as for any other vehicle.

[/quote']

the one that WILL be coming into force soon (hopefully)

mistake, I admit...

Good to hear from so many cyclist!

As i can follow, the traffic rule on the arive alive web page does not specify

how far left one should keep to the side of the road.

I just think it's commin sense that a cyclist should keep left and not bunch up and be a newsence to traffic and slowing the cars down, because of big bunch of cyclist preventing them from overtaking.

I'm actually a mtb rider, but train on the tarr during the week and is amased to see the cyclist riding in the middel of their lane and not moving left for traffic.

What law would that be? I agree with linnega on this. a Bycicle is a vehicle in terms of the National Road Traffic Act' date=' 93 of 1996. The same rules apply for you as for any other vehicle.

[/quote']

mistake, I admit...

There has been no change to legislation regarding pedal cycles as vehicles since I have been cycling, except for the stupid amendment regarding helmets.  Haven't heard any rumblings about new road traffic legislation either, probably more a case of misinformation in the public domain than any actual planned changes.

Pretty much a bicycle is a vehicle and a cyclist a driver.  The exception is that bicycles may overtake other bicycles without changing lanes, an option that is not provided for in the law for other vehicle types (except motorbikes).  So when you get hooted at for occupying your lane, take the time to educate the moron behind the wheel that he change lanes if he wants to pass.

[/quote']

mistake, I admit...

Sorry if my tone sounded condescending. It was not meant that way. It just irritates me to see cyclists behave like there is different rules them than for other road users.

I'm actually a mtb rider' date=' but train on the tarr during the week and is amased to see the cyclist riding in the middel of their lane and not moving left for traffic.

[/quote']

raleigh, those cyclists in the middle of the road were doing exactly what the arrivealive-website used to say ... take up space. if you ride too close to the kerb, there's no place for you to go to, if a car misjudge the distance between his side-mirror and your handlebars.

[/quote']

mistake, I admit...

Sorry if my tone sounded condescending. It was not meant that way. It just irritates me to see cyclists behave like there is different rules them than for other road users.

no need to apologise mate - i thought it was a law, but i was wrong. End of.

I for one am not one of those ba$tards who tells other ppl to pi$$ off when they hoot / gesticulate etc... just carry on my own merry way, and try to keep visible. Even if i do ride aggressively on the road, doesn't mean I don't take a f*&K you! attitude at the same time. Commuting on the roads of London taught me alot - it's worse over there than it is here, believe me.

One thing it taught me - take care of yourself first. And that means making yourself visible, being courteous to other road users, and not hesitating when there is that gap that you have to take. Treat the road as if you were in your car. Don't jump reds or stop streets simpy because there "isn't anyone there" It has beeen said before. Numerous times...

And because we don't need to change lanes to overtake other cyclists, it often appears to motorists that we are riding abreast, when we in fact are not. I've been hooted at for doing just that ... even while staying on the left of the yellow lane. But I'd strongly advise cyclists NOT to ride in the middle of a lane and holding up traffic ... it seriously reduces the patience of motorists.

[/quote']

mistake, I admit...

There has been no change to legislation regarding pedal cycles as vehicles since I have been cycling, except for the stupid amendment regarding helmets.  Haven't heard any rumblings about new road traffic legislation either, probably more a case of misinformation in the public domain than any actual planned changes.

Pretty much a bicycle is a vehicle and a cyclist a driver.  The exception is that bicycles may overtake other bicycles without changing lanes, an option that is not provided for in the law for other vehicle types (except motorbikes).  So when you get hooted at for occupying your lane, take the time to educate the moron behind the wheel that he change lanes if he wants to pass.

Hmmm, not sure that is very "sound" advice.

I dont think this is about "the letter of the law" this is about getting home safely.

Most of the roads cyclists use here are small and heavily congested with speeding cars and heavily loaded trucks, I defy any cyclist to occupy a lane or educate a truck driver barrelling down on you in a 36 wheeler heavily loaded with bricks to change lanes, and still get home safely, they will be scraping you off some flatbeds windshield before the day is out - frankly I cant see any cyclist stupid enough to try.

Most cyclists use the same route on a regular basis at regular times, as do truckers who have schedules, showing a driver of a horse and three trailers the finger or any other gesture is going to get their attention for sure - unfortunately not in the way you hoped. 

Truckers and motorists do not expect cyclists occupying lanes (even if we have a right to do so - its plain stupid) they expect cyclists, runners etc on the left or left of the yellow line and possibly look for them there - the law is fine and well, but in the real world, its just about survival on the road, from my experience keeping as far left as possible and keeping both hands on the bars at all times is the best route to accomplish this. 

porky2009-03-30 04:47:32