The (un)official single speed thread....

rock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My On One Scandal SS

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4230899036_f8da98ba53_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4230130863_25ccab75bb_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2798/4230899132_b2e1c2a1bd_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4230131061_7c99da16c1_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Attached are pics of my re-sprayed SS ?Project Free Ride? build up. Sorry RE the res .. the pics were taken on my cell during this morning?s commute.

The previous finish to the frame was a brushed Chromoly with a clear coat on it, but time has been cruel to the frame so her decals and overall appearance was looking rather shabby.

Enter a little time.

I took the old stickers off, rubbed the frame down with mentholated spirits to clear off any residue from the stickers and general bike grease. Tapped over the silver and black Giant logo.

Then I used the cheapest tins of spray paint that I could find and applied it in many coats. Basically thin layer over thin layer to avoid running. My first tin was R25.00 and was bought to spray the Mongoose branded stem on the Scott. So when I did the giant I ran out when wanting to fill in some of the areas that needed another coat or two. Second tin cost me R31.00 as I could not find the same brand as before ? so I gave the whole bike another coat and ensured that the areas that needed more colour were done at the same time.

I must say that I REALLY enjoyed doing this!

What I did notice once the bike was sprayed was that the deep scratches in the old frame are now rather visible when viewing up close, so when I spray the bike again I will use body filler to smooth this out.

The funny this is that this is the only thing I have gone out and bought for the SS 

Next time I might go British racing green in a gloss finish or start experimenting with a matte black and gloss snake skin look.

I also re-sprayed the frame and cranks, but have left the seat post silver for now ? this I think will be sprayed black over the coming weekend .

I also need to cut down the rear der to just below the highest pulley wheel and touch up the works.

Future upgrades. That damned thing needs a fork. My wrists don?t take to well to a rigid fork ? if I can find one of those old Crackondale Head Shocks it would be perfect ? with a new coat of paint over it ?. Or else I will have to see what I can find.

20100125_075930_Photo0059_Deskt.jpg20100125_080722_Photo0056_Deskt.jpg20100125_080815_Photo0057_Deskt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took it out for some fun yesterday...

20100207_164427_IMG_3901.JPG20100207_164442_IMG_3898_2.JPG

Yes boys and girls - single speed cyclocross!

Had fun riding on the dirt...

(and yes, the reflectors will be removed...didn't want to get a fine for riding late with no lights nor reflective ring on the tyres... (a fine would be around R330))GFishy2010-02-07 16:51:12

Well, after turning my nose up at a few opportunities to acquire a track frame for a fixie project, I kind of stumbled across this one. I think it's the start of something special....*sigh*

It's an original Carlton, handbuilt in the UK. For some history have a look at the link below.

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/

Research seems to indicate the frame dates back to somewhere between 1966-69.

It still has the original chrome finish which seems to be in pretty good condition, but for a few rough patches and minor rust. Going to try and keep it as is unless it needs to be recoated/painted in order to sort out any corrossion.

The decals, wheels, stem, handlebar and headset have GOT to go. Give us some time together and she will blossom smiley1.gif

20100210_055923_Carlton_1.jpg

20100210_060155_Carlton_2.jpg

20100210_060607_Carlton_3.jpg

Very nice, i remember those chrome Carltons back in the day.

I've successfully removed surface rust from chrome using oxalic acid. You can get it from builders warehouse i think. Its a white powder that you mix with water and soak the frame in a plastic bath. 

• 1 month later...

Wow, thats a beautiful bike. Nice find!

Just wondering if they spelled:"workshop" incorrectly on the headbadge.

Wow' date=' thats a beautiful bike. Nice find!

Just wondering if they spelled:"workshop" incorrectly on the headbadge.

[/quote']

Worksop is the name of the town that the Carlton factory was based in.

Have since 'swapped' bikes. A friend took this one and I bought the other Carlton the same seller had. It's larger, so was a better fit for me.

It's up and running with 'new' bars, a front brake and a few other changes. Will post pics later