Trainer: Dedicated wheel or not?

Newboy

I do all my training Monday to Friday on my trainer. I use only one set of wheels on my trainer, to ride outside and to race. My question is this. Does the trainer have a detrimental effect on my wheel and on the tyre? Should I use a dedicated wheel on the trainer?

depends on money , and patience. I'm thiking of getting a dedicates wheel on the trainer, because getting that ugly yellow tire onto the rim is a MIIIIIISSSSSSSIIIIIOOOOOOONNN!!!!! It eats normal road tires, so get the yellow IDT tyre. So just swap it for the weekly training. But , be patient.

The trainer wears the tyre down faster. It will not not have an effect on the rest of the wheel.

Last year this time i used my Ksyrium SL on the trainer for a few sessions. it felt great, and worked like a dream. then i took it off to clean and put the normal road tire back on and noticed hairline cracks at every single point on the rim where the drive side spokes / nipples screwed into the rims!! actually at some points it was so bad i could see right into the rim!! had to replace the rim 3 days before argus last year! not easy or cheap!

so i will never put my zipps, or my ksyriums on the trainer, the rollers yes but not the trainer! i got a set of those cheap shimano R550's and they seem to be fine after months of abuse on the trainer.

so yes i would say get a dedicated trainer wheel, and get that orange conti trainer tire. makes life so much easier, and the tire is quiet, and lasts for ever.

Cervelo I've got one of those Yellow tires but must agree after putting on and taking it off twice I decided it was not worth the effort. The trainer is a bit hard on tires. Question is does it effect the wheel?

This leads to the next question? Should I put a dedicated wheel on the trainer. If the wheel is a Shimano as mentioned above and my other wheel is a Easton, will the bike shift the same with both wheels or will I need to adjust for this?

The shifting has nothing to do with the brand of wheel, but with the setup and spacing of the cassette. i run 3 different wheels on 2 bikes, all 10 speed Shimano, running ultegra cassettes and they all shift perfectly, no matter what combination i use. Dura Ace / 105 whatever, its all good. trick is to keep it all clean and lubed properly at all times, and you should be fine.