Cone Spanners

splat

Instead of buying a full tool kit, I am buying individual tools here and there.

Cone spanners are on my list (if I were to use a Park Tools kit as a template). What sizes do I need - if any? And what are they used for?
splat2009-04-29 06:26:49

you only use them if you want to service your hubs, i.e. clean hubs, change grease and or bearings...whether you need them or not is debateable...

Guest Big H

Cone spanners are used to set and adjust the bearing cones and their locknuts on your wheel hubs. They are flat in order for them to fit into the narrow space to make the adjustments. They come in different sizes the same as normal spanners. You have to determine yourself what sizes you need. I went to pawnshops and bought normal flat spanners that do fit. As suggested you can grind small amounts away untill they fit. Use a belt grinder for this and DO NOT overheat the spanners. I have a set of Park Tools cone spanners in my toolbox in RSA and here in Angola I have a set made by BBB. Quality and fit of both brands are good. They cost between R70-00 and R100-00 per spanner if I remember correctly. On my Shimano XT Tandem hub I use a 13, 15 and 17 size spanner.

I don't think whether or not you need cone spanners is debatable or not. If you have wheels that require cone spanners then you need them. If you have wheels that don't require cone spanners, then you don't need them. Nothing debatable about that.

If you have Shimano MTB wheels you'll need a 13 and a 17. XTR and the new XT may require different sizes, I can't remember. If you have Shimano road wheels, you may require a 20mm. Good luck if you can find one, I can't find any anywhere and I need one all the time.

Some wheels make do with allen keys or as in some Mavic wheels, crappy little plastic pin spanners that last exactly 1 wheel, one side.

Some wheels just require finger tightening of the cartridge bearing "Cones". I hate these 'cause you need strong fingers to undo some of them.

If you, like you said in another thread, want to start building a toolkit, start with a vernier. About R150 from Makro/Builders Wharehouse. Then you can measure the cone spanners you need for your wheels. On Shimano wheels you can actually get away (In fact, it is better) with a 17mm spanner for the jam nut, but you'll need a 13 for the cone.

Start with the two spanners you need for your wheels and then buy others as you get money. A full set of 13-17 (buy the 16 last) is useful if you suddenly have to fix a distressed damsel's bike. You end up looking like a knight in rusty armour if you whip out your toolkit only to find you don't have a 14mm cone spanner.

Forget about getting the entire set in the same brand. It is impossible in South Africa to find a steady supply and you'll have to buy a mixture of BBB, PRO, Tacx, Velox, SuperB, Acelor and some other blue American brand I don't care for. They'll range from R40 for a perfectly good one to R138 for an equally good one that's more expensive for no obvious reason.

Don't buy Park's double-sided cone spanners. You'll need two sets because some wheel manufacturers are cruel and work out their combinations so that they're both on one spanner when you need two.

Final tip, NEVER EVER use your 15mm cone spanner as a pedal spanner. It'll be good-bye spanner.

If you want cone spanners, I have a full compliment (except 20mm) in stock, in a lovery rainbow nation variety from different suppliers.

JB,

I just finished reconditioning a 505 hub that was sold to me, I believe 2007/2008 versions and had to use a 14 spanner on the rear hub. This was a new one for me. And if I look at the poor condition of the wheel I believe the cones have been replaced at least once.

JB' date='
I just finished reconditioning a 505 hub that was sold to me, I believe 2007/2008 versions and had to use a 14 spanner on the rear hub. This was a new one for me. And if I look at the poor condition of the wheel I believe the cones have been replaced at least once.[/quote']

I am no expert wrt sizes and types of hubs. I just seem to come up against 13/17 more often than any other combo.

My old XT hubs use that combo...I think. The jam nut on old-style Shimanos always seems to be 17 mm though. I know since I prefer to use a standard spanner there instead of a cone spanner. Its better width makes it less of a hit and miss affair.