NCR - What 35mm DSLR Camera & kit?

racman

To all those pro's and good amateur photo buffs out there. What DSLR camera and kit would you recommend for all round use but also sports i.e. cycling, motorsport etc photography. Looking for best features and value for money. Please suggest complete kit. ( I am not a complete novice as used to do extensive motorsport photography as an enthusiast in the Analogue 35mm SLR daysBig%20smile)

If you can please give approximate cost of items and best places to buy in JHB/CT.

Thx

(I'm not looking to buy a used camera)
racman2009-05-12 19:42:35

PM Weight Weenie, I think he works in a Photography Shop,  or else PM Ronelle or Michelle.  Both are Hub photographers or PM Pantani

I have used both the Canon 1000D and 450D. The 1000D is better value for money as it has 95% of the 450D features, and is better priced. I own the 1000D and is very happy with it

http://www.orms.co.za/product.php?a=view&product=1631

Nikon D60 + 18-55mm VR + 55-200mm VR Kit

how about that? R9.5k bargain

I've always been a Nikon fan but have owned both Nikon and Canon SLR's in the past. (my son still has my pld Nikon which is now worth "didley squat" !!!!Angry

It seems that the D60 doesn't seem to get great reviews - is this just Magazine/Review site bias?

Ok, what if you had 20-25k to spend - how would you spend it to be sorted out for the prior puprose mentioned?
racman2009-05-02 08:48:43

Stay with CANON - no problems at all, and brilliant cameras. Got the 350D and works like a charm. And to make sure you get the perfect photo, every time, buy a good external flash - one that has a little-known feature called ETTL - Electronic Through The Lens. Basically has a look at your exposure, focus and available light, and then adjusts it for you to make everything look like a million bucks. Works like a charm!

It seems that the D60 doesn't seem to get great reviews - is this just Magazine/Review site bias?

Ok' date=' what if you had 20-25k to spend - how would you spend it to be sorted out for the prior puprose mentioned?
[/quote']

I have a Canon 5D and a 30D - together with a selection of lenses.  For R25k (assuming you're buying new) perhaps look at the Canon 40D (about R10500 at Orms and about R5k less than the new 50D) and get one good lens to use with it.  I'd recommend the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS (which is my favourite and most used lens) but, at R22k, it'll blow your budget.  Perhaps look at the 70-200 f/4 IS (around R15k).

With the 40D (or anything else other than full frame), the effective focal length of the 70-200 will be longer but you can add a good quality wide lens later.

Ok' date=' what if you had 20-25k to spend - how would you spend it to be sorted out for the prior puprose mentioned?
[/quote']

I have a Canon 5D and a 30D - together with a selection of lenses.  For R25k (assuming you're buying new) perhaps look at the Canon 40D (about R10500 at Orms and about R5k less than the new 50D) and get one good lens to use with it.  I'd recommend the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS (which is my favourite and most used lens) but, at R22k, it'll blow your budget.  Perhaps look at the 70-200 f/4 IS (around R15k).

With the 40D (or anything else other than full frame), the effective focal length of the 70-200 will be longer but you can add a good quality wide lens later.

I agreeClap. The Canon 40D has a superior image processor based on Canon's professional range, allowing it to process information a lot quicker. It is probably your best value for money camera out there. It is aimed at semi-professional photographers who do not have the cash to afford Canon's top of the range.

A simple comparison is to compare the amount of FPS on continuous shooting, and also how many frames it can shoot before the buffer is full. This will provide you with an indication of the effectiveness of the processor. You would also need a lens with a low F-stop reading, more light means better quality.

The Sony A300 is also excellent, where as the A200 and A100 cameras terrible.With the A300 Sony went back to the Minolta designs, the A100 and A200 were their own creation, and were poor cameras. Note though that the A300 is still a camera aimed at amateur photographers.

I have a simple rule though, buy a brand that manufactures cameras as a main business, not a brand that makes cameras as well.Wink

Guest Michelle

I use the Canon 400D (although I'm looking at upgrading the body), 430EX flash & 70 - 200 f/2.8 lens most of the time..

Considering the 5D or 50D as an upgrade... think I should just take the pain & shell out for the 5D now Ouch