Winter Gear Recommendations

Rawhide

The time has come to invest in some Winter gear for training and club rides over the winter.

Any recommendations as to what would be most suitable for road training and riding over the next few months ?

Yeah a cape storm green jacket thingie and an extra vest under your riding top. It never gets that cold in SA. That said everyone is different. If you really feel the cold then I reckon you should look at first ascents line up. Well priced and fairly snug.

Capestorm vest, thermal anatomic balaclava, pro race winter jacket for colder days.

vest, windjammer, arm warmers for warmer ones

Capestorm vest' date=' thermal anatomic balaclava, pro race winter jacket for colder days.

[/quote']

I curious to find out if people use the plain lycra type of arm & leg warmer or the Fleecy type which are obviously warmer ? 

I saw some full length tights but they have no Chammy ?? are these meant to worn over a bib ?

Capestorm vest' date=' thermal anatomic balaclava, pro race winter jacket for colder days.

[/quote']

I curious to find out if people use the plain lycra type of arm & leg warmer or the Fleecy type which are obviously warmer ? 

I saw some full length tights but they have no Chammy ?? are these meant to worn over a bib ?

Have both kinds, use the fleecy one colder days

I wear my tights over my bibs' date=' works great![/quote']

Are winter (full) gloves neccessary ?

Depends if you want cold hands or not;-) Seriously though just remember that if you clothe up too much you'll end up having to stop and take alot of it off. If its really cold, sub freezing, I'll darn fleecy arm warmers, a chest warmer/ bib and a wind jamer.

legwarmers work better for me than tights - when it warms up, it's far easier to get off.

the lycra-armwarmers with longsleeve shirt and capestorm yellow jacket was warm enough on the cold hours of sani2c. that said, the weather was very mild last weekend, and i didn't get to try out the warmer stuff that i took along.

Do you have to wear a green jacket? do they come in other colours?

i love the yellow - it's visible.

i have a red one too (from capestorm as well, but more for runners than cyclists) - but i much prefer the dayglo yellow one.

i use gloves, arm warmers, knee warmers, windbreaker gilet and a slightly higher heart rate

i use gloves' date=' arm warmers, knee warmers, windbreaker gilet and a slightly higher heart rate[/quote']

What type of gloves do you use ? Gilet Brand/make ?  

[/quote']

With Wolverine on this one.

Dont forget the toe caps for shoes, and overshoes when it really is very cold.

As for gloves - definitely winter gloves, get a thin pair, and a thicker pair for colder days.

Balaclava can be replaced by a skull cap on not so cold days.

Fleecy armwarmers are certainly warmer, and the tights without the chammy is best for really cold winter rides.

Some riders use newspaper to keep the chest warm, but its rather old school, and can be messy. Rather wear a vest/tshirt.

All said, it depends on what time of day you gonna ride during the winter