XTR RD??

gongmech

Hi,

Anybody know of whether the integrated XTR shifetrs/brake combo will work with the standard XT RD? or must it be rapid rise RD. I have a broken XTR rd which came with them so i want to put on a standard XT rd.

Thax

You can use any Shimano RD (Deore, SLX, XT, XTR) doesn't matter if it's rapid rise or not!

Rapid rise / normal will only affect the direction of the shift when using the lever.

Yes, they both work.

There is however a reason why Rapid Rise is recommended for dual control. The spring moves the chain to a bigger sprocket which makes for an easier gear shift into a lower gear. Pulling a gear brings it onto a smaller sprocket where the ramps are not needed. Not a massive difference but it is there nonetheless.

Ok, education for dummies here...

Trigger shifters... push with thumb and pull with a forefinger.. ( I have these )

Which RD starts/resting position at the small sprocket at the back and moves up the cluster with a push on the thumb...?

Forgive me, all this talk of rapid rise/shortcage/low normal/top normal.. confuses the daylights out of me..

A rapid rise rests on the large sprocket. It is easier for your tension in the gear cable to move it to a smaller sprocket. Spring moves it back up on to the bigger sprocket. This is the same as low normal. Normal position is the low gear/big sprocket.

"Which RD starts/resting position at the small sprocket at the back and moves up the cluster with a push on the thumb...?" HIGH NORMAL

Another nice thing about running RR derailleur with dual control is that both shifters work in the same way. Click up for an easier gear and down for a more difficult gear.

Thanks DB.. for taking the time to reply

When I started MTB... in the hippie days.. Rapid fire shifters were the only choice..... coming back to MTB, I just could not get used to Dual Control.. now have LX M530 triggers and needed to know which RD to get

I assume HIGH NORMAL will be the ones?

Rapid Fire only came in long after the hippy days.

Either will work. Just remember that you would have to change which lever shifts which way if you had to change to Rapid Rise. My advice would be to stick with what you know. High Normal is regular.

Make sure you get a long cage if you are running a standard 3 x 9 setup.

Yes you can use standard rear mech with integrated levers, but as they were designed to work with rapid rise       

I'd buy a rapid rise XT rear mech part code is RDM770.

I use integrated levers and have tried both types of mech, rapid rise works better!

Yes you can use standard rear mech with integrated levers' date=' but as they were designed to work with rapid rise       

I'd buy a rapid rise XT rear mech part code is RDM770.

I use integrated levers and have tried both types of mech, rapid rise works better![/quote']

I agree with you that Rapid Rise is great when using dual control but have never been able to test against a regular derailleur on the dc. When you say it works better what do you mean?

Shifting is smoother and lighter, ie there is almost no effort in moving the lever. When using a standard rear mech it requires more effort to push the lever down to actuate shifting as the spring in the mech is working against the shifter, it still work it's just not as smooth or intuitive in my opinion.

Shifting is smoother and lighter' date=' ie there is almost no effort in moving the lever. When using a standard rear mech it requires more effort to push the lever down to actuate shifting as the spring in the mech is working against the shifter, it still work it's just not as smooth or intuitive in my opinion.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

A rapid rise rests on the large sprocket. It is easier for your tension in the gear cable to move it to a smaller sprocket. Spring moves it back up on to the bigger sprocket. This is the same as low normal. Normal position is the low gear/big sprocket.

"Which RD starts/resting position at the small sprocket at the back and moves up the cluster with a push on the thumb...?" HIGH NORMAL

Another nice thing about running RR derailleur with dual control is that both shifters work in the same way. Click up for an easier gear and down for a more difficult gear.

More education for dummies...

Is the correct RD for what we are talking about...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9735

Confusion reigns supreme!

I have one bike with the newest trigger shifters, and a M772 RD - if I remember correctly, you push with the thumb to move down the gears (bigger rear sprocket) and pull with the finger to move up the gears (smaller rear sprocket).

Then I have another bike with slightly older shifters and an M960 RD - This works the other way around - thumb push, up the gears (smaller sprocket) - finger pull, down the gears (larger sprocket).

I'm not too bothered which waym I just wish that I had both bikes the same!!!

More education for dummies...

Is the correct RD for what we are talking about...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9735

YESBig%20smile