Cadence??

Mad Dog

Hi, what should be a good average cadence? Just got a cadence sensor and don?t really know everything about the ?cadence? thing?. Please ? ConfusedConfusedConfused

it different for everyone, i'm happy at around 100, but it varys, find your sweet spot and that's yours

Cadence is debatable, whatever suits you is good.

Most people are in the 80-100rpm band.

Thanks everyone !! I'll go and test it..... 14h00 hmmmm.... jip ! lock the doors I'm going !!Clap

All depends on how strong and fit you are. Have a 6-8 min warm-up , then start pedeling @85 -90 rpm's for 2 min - if it feels good go to 90 and stay there for 2 min. The success of cadence training is that you need to pedle at least @ 90rpm and keep it there for an x-period of time. My cadence training consits out of 14min@ 90rpm working through the gears / 14min @95 rpm and 14 min of a mixture 90 -110 rpm with a 2min rest between the sessions to bring your HR down.This works for me. You need to find what is working for you and stick to it.

Good luck and enjoy

All depends on how strong and fit you are. Have a 6-8 min warm-up ' date=' then start pedeling @85 -90 rpm's for 2 min - if it feels good go to 90 and stay there for 2 min. The success of cadence training is that you need to pedle at least @ 90rpm and keep it there for an x-period of time. My cadence training consits out of 14min@ 90rpm working through the gears / 14min @95 rpm and 14 min of a mixture 90 -110 rpm with a 2min rest between the sessions to bring your HR down.This works for me. You need to find what is working for you and stick to it.

Good luck and enjoy[/quote']

I like these posts where I learn something....thanks bud. I will ofcourse see at which cadences I am comfy, but this seems like a good regime. What is your target heart rate?

Daloco I dont train in a specific HR zone. My max HR is 178.As soon as I hit 160 especially @ 100 rpm's I slow down a bit. My average HR after a session is in the region of 146 -148 and as Windblown says your average HR comes down the fitter you become. All depends on the program you use and the setting on your trainer. I leave my setting on 4 which is comfortable for me. My last session is normally the one that pushes you HR up as you do 100+ rpm's

That basically the zone I am aiming at as well. I have been pushing above 90% till now, but some wise people told me it is actually not doing a lot of good...So now I aim at around 75-85%, picking up my cadence as I see the heart rate drops. It does feel as if I am slacking off though, but will get over it.

My average speed ahs improved by 0.6km/h over a 70km route in the last four weeks, which to me is a positive(there was about double the wind, and it turned, so the whole route was against the wind.Since I have been focussing on cadence and heart rate and not whether I get left behind, i do not get left behindLOL

how do you then match your cadence to your heart rate ?

If you want to target a specific heart rate, do you then focus on using the gears (and hence loose speed) but keep the cadence the same, or do you try keep the speed the same and dont worry on the cadence ?

Ha Ha - 80-100? It also depends on how old you are! I start to smell smoke after 80 and can pedal all day at 65, albeit pulling a taller gear?Wink

I read in a cycling book that efficiency in terms of oxygen use is the best at 90 rpm. Will try look that up again and post more info.

Guest Big H

On Sunday we did our last long ride of 119km in preparation for the Kremetart. Our average cadence on the Tandem was 78. Our average speed was 31,2km/h and my average heartrate was 132BPM. My Max HR is 172BPM and I am 55 years old. The route was very flat.