At What Age Will My Cycling Decline?

Guest Big H

Guest Big H

From Road Bike Rider......... very interesting........

At What Age Will My Cycling Decline?

Q:  I'm 38 and in the best shape of my life. But I wonder if I'm about to start losing it as I near 40. How long can I maintain my present cycling fitness? -- Barry N.

Coach Fred Matheny Replies:  Ed Pavelka and I began riding seriously in our 20s and managed to keep improving into our 50s. In fact, we each set personal records after passing the half-century mark, as did some friends. So you still have lots of good years to look forward to.

In preparation for a talk on "Aging and the Cyclist" at a medical conference, I did quite a bit of research on this subject.

The ability of muscle cells to consume oxygen (VO2 max) is a good marker for endurance performance. Studies show that although sedentary people see their VO2 max decline at a rate of about 1% per year after age 40, active people lose only 0.5%. And competitors who continue a long-term vigorous training program might lose only about 0.25% annually.

Even better, some life-long endurance athletes have actually improved their oxygen uptake between ages 45 and 55. Here are 5 of their secrets:

Consistent training.  Keep it up year after year and never take lengthy layoffs. The clich?s are true: Use it or lose it. When you rest, you rust.

Hard efforts.  Don't just ride, ride with intensity at times. Vigorous pedaling preserves oxygen uptake better than cruising.

Weight training.  This helps keep body fat levels low and strength high. Most people gain fat and lose muscle volume as they age even if their bodyweight stays constant. Lift weights consistently to preserve precious muscle mass.

Healthful lifestyle.  Avoid risky habits and behavior. This includes risks on the bike like bombing descents at the limits of control. Stay active and motivated by finding ways to keep cycling fun. Ride with others, buy a new bike, find different roads, commute, accept the challenges of racing or long-distance events.

Longevity genes.  Some people simply seem to age slower than others. Did you choose the right parents?

Boa noite Grande HSmile. I believe strongly that in cycling you can get better as you get older. My race times are proving it, with my best times coming as I get into my 50's. But what Fred says about keeping up the riding is vital. I intend doing the Argus when I'm 95. I remember reading another article on RBR some years ago giving why you can improve in cycling as against other sports, especially running. In cycling the absolutely dominant motion is circular. with low impact on the skeletal structure and the elasticity of the tendons. Joint cartilage remains intact. So a runner will experience declining performance as he gets older, as a result of loss of elasticity in his tendons (he doesn't push off the ground as efficiently as a younger runner), and joints, subject to the wear and tear of high impact, cause aches by the body.

But then they also say that high activity cyclists have to be careful of regulating their calcium intake, since you lose calcium in your sweat, and the low impact of the sport does not strengthen your bones. This is important to know for older active cyclists to supplemnt with calcium to prevent serious breaks when pranging.

Good article- wish there were more in the media.
Yang2009-05-21 14:43:12

Guest Big H

Our first ARGUS was the 25th ARGUS. We plan to do the 50th ARGUS as well. We have now done seven and missed one. We did four whilst living outside RSA.

We slacked in our cycling...... got lazy to be more specific and it was quite an effort to get back on track again. Due to the flat countryside and regular riding we live in here in Angola we are now stronger than ever before.

On the genes side I definitely lost out. I am more the prop/lock/WWF Wrestler type of person.

Healthful lifestyle.  Avoid risky habits and behavior. This includes risks on the bike like bombing descents at the limits of control.

Oh I know a few people....that's not going to meet this criteria.

I've done 8 Argus', and with the exception of one my times have been improving, from 4:17 in 2001 to 3:57 (equal to about 3:17) this year. Next year I want to do a sub 3:15. I reckon my improvement is because of hard efforts and consistent training, as per article. There are some strong boys in Maputo that I ride with that have made a big difference to my fitness and endurance. So as I get older I get a huge kick out of the fact that I'm holding my own against some 30 yr olds. You know what Moz is like- flat as well- so a lot of my pedalling is non-stop when I go out- great enduro stuff.

And Fred missed out another couple of points- you gotta love cycling, and you got to have a little bit of boy in you. 

I have just done my 9th Argus and have had my best ride to date, I am 47  now. I won the fastest club time for my cycling club at Argus this year.

Last year I was drilled by a 65 year old club mate who flew past me up Chappies he did a 3:01 I think.

I reckon you  only as old as you think you are, if you train lots.

Must say tks for the article BH, very good stuff and encouraging for us 50+ people. Subtle remarks have been made that I'm on some "beetle juice" as I am really riding well and strong at the momentLOL I have set my own targets and work toward them systematically, and by giving between 6 and 8 spinning classes a week, it really has worked for me. And I can really say, I am stronger as a cyclist, compared to when I was a runner and younger. Weights do help as wellCry.

Big H , they say life begins @ 40 which is true. I started cycling at the age of 17.Today I am 43 and I cycle the best cycling ever. 15 years ago I wasnt able to do an average of 38/39 in a race. A lot has got to do with the mind. If you keep level headed you can go a long way.That sub 3 Argus is definitely reachable. Enjoy smiley2.gif

Guest Big H

Must say tks for the article BH, very good stuff and encouraging for us 50+ people. Subtle remarks have been made that I'm on some "beetle juice" as I am really riding well and strong at the momentLOL I have set my own targets and work toward them systematically, and by giving between 6 and 8 spinning classes a week, it really has worked for me. And I can really say, I am stronger as a cyclist, compared to when I was a runner and younger. Weights do help as wellCry.

[/quote']

We are leaving to our new home and new project at Cuvango about 350 km north of us but about 700 km by road via Lubango, most which are gravel or severely potholed, early tomorrow morning.

The site camp is equipped with a gym. I am very excited about the prospect of doing some crosstraining. Core strength and my boep has always been a concern for me.

Been cycling 10 years and i'm cycling better now than in previous years, still suck but not as much.

Aaayy so I've got another 26 years to catch Burry Stander?! .... Ja right ....LOL

Scotty get out of the big chain ring and you will be fine

There's a smaller blade ?? Confused 

I thought that was just to stop the chain coming off.

I was much faster when I was 17 and I had a heavy steel bike back then :-( all the carbon in the world isn't helping me.

And no, it has NOTHING to do with the beer. OK?