RECOVERED!!! S-Works Epic

intern

Susan Boyle?- then I will certainly not be acting myself.

This was the first time that I have seen this LBS with a stolen bike, altho' I can't say wht has gone through his shop which I hardly ever go past. In this case he passed himself off as a go-between for the "owner " of the bike and he claimed not to be making anything out of it (pull the other one pal). There are alos other "bike shops" which are mostly open air bike workshops. I've seen at least two bikes being ridden out here by the most unlikely people int erms of the value of the bike. A few months ago I saw a Giant Anthem, and a few weeks ago there was a Scott. There is also a place called Chokwe about 120 km's north which is the centre of stolen goods in this region, for everything from quads to moto's and bakkies, fertilser from our company and other stuff. The major centre for bikes in Moz is probably Maputo. The LBS owner wasn't around yesterday and I'm expecting a call from him today to wrap up neg's for the reward money, because I told him to tell the "owner" there was no way my mate (Intern) was going to buy back his own bike. So he promised to talk to the source to cut his losses with this bike, and we'll see what happens. The saga continues.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say screw the source. Arrest him for possesion of stolen goods!

Have you ever worked in Africa mate? I spent 11 years in parts of it you would not send your worst enemy. Different rules apply.

Alfredo is the LBS owner. He called me late today- said he was stopping as go-between, and that the "owner" of the bike will negotiate with me directly. Hav already spoken to local police chief who said that bike owner, Sr Interno, would have to come and lay charge personally and give evidence in court.... Dead. So still waiting for the first guy I saw on the bike riding through the market to come through to my office to negotiate a reward. Maybe tomorrow.

Have you ever worked in Africa mate? I spent 11 years in parts of it you would not send your worst enemy. Different rules apply.

Onetime- I didn't want to be so direct, but you're absolutely right. I spoke to the police chief in general terms. But if I insisted on some sort of action, like confiscation of the bike, or if I refused to pay "reward" money for the bike, I'd have to watch myself everytime I go out for a training ride, and I'd have to put double locks and burglar guards on my house, because "owner" and his mates would be looking out for revenge and to help themselves to my bikes...........  

Onetime- I didn't want to be so direct' date=' but you're absolutely right. I spoke to the police chief in general terms. But if I insisted on some sort of action, like confiscation of the bike, or if I refused to pay "reward" money for the bike, I'd have to watch myself everytime I go out for a training ride, and I'd have to put double locks and burglar guards on my house, because "owner" and his mates would be looking out for revenge and to help themselves to my bikes...........  
[/quote']

I know mate. A lot of the guys think Africa is a big adventure or something. When you get to work in Africa you find it completely different from what you are used to. Its a stunning country but you have to live and abide by their type of justice and rules. Wish I could get back there. Would do anything to work in Africa again.

A few months ago I saw a Giant Anthem' date=' and a few weeks ago there was a Scott.[/quote']

Probably my old bike Confused race machines are not made for Africa and I cannot see them lasting long in that environment.  would never have guessed that stolen bikes from here would find there way into Mozambique, especially the up market ones.

On a more positive note, got a call from the detective investigating the attacks at the R21 this morning. A couple of weeks after our attack they made 2 arrests. He was following up on statements as the crooks were up for their second court appearance Big%20smile looks like they didn't just get bail this time. Hope they do get nailed properly.

hey guys there is a very condensed tale of the travesty turned triumph on my blog if you want to have a squizz.

• 4 weeks later...
hey guys there is a very condensed tale of the travesty turned triumph on my blog if you want to have a squizz.

Intern, I got a kick out of reading my response to your blog on the site tonight. Guys who want to know more about what happened, check it out.