SRAM XX pics, weight and details

_im_from_earth

lol, nice one. I have a little more info on the group which I will let out a little later in the week regarding some more specifics. enjoy

The crankset will be available in both a BB30 and traditional external bearing interface.

That said the price is horrendous, a direct US to ZAR transalation puts the new units into the 3.5 to 3.8 K price bracket. If variables such as the SA MTB market and the general national mark up on bicycle parts are added to the equation it can then be deduced that the cranksets will fall into a price bracket similar to the current M970 XTR units. For less money you can put together a much lighter double ring unit. In essence you are really just paying for the Sram name.

That all said, I reckon I am going to put down an order for a SID XX WC and a XX RD. I have 10 spd gripshifters and I'll knock the pins out of a few spare Ti cassettes I have and put together a sub 200 gram unit. I also know for a fact that there are allready plans and prototypes from various botique manufacturers to get 10 spd cassettes out before the years end.

The rest of the groupset is nothing to write home about. Formula do lighter brakes, Sram do top end road derailleurs that, with a Speen adaptor, will work perfectly on an MTB.

Not to bad for the crank but yes im with you... way to expensive.

That fork is nice though, and im not sure about 10speed on a MTB, chain might snap to often. I love the look of the crank, will be looking at 1 of those and sticking with my XO drive chain for now with formula brakes

The crankset will be available in both a BB30 and traditional external bearing interface.

That said the price is horrendous' date=' a direct US to ZAR transalation puts the new units into the 3.5 to 3.8 K price bracket. If variables such as the SA MTB market and the general national mark up on bicycle parts are added to the equation it can then be deduced that the cranksets will fall into a price bracket similar to the current M970 XTR units. For less money you can put together a much lighter double ring unit. In essence you are really just paying for the Sram name.

That all said, I reckon I am going to put down an order for a SID XX WC and a XX RD. I have 10 spd gripshifters and I'll knock the pins out of a few spare Ti cassettes I have and put together a sub 200 gram unit. I also know for a fact that there are allready plans and prototypes from various botique manufacturers to get 10 spd cassettes out before the years end.

The rest of the groupset is nothing to write home about. Formula do lighter brakes, Sram do top end road derailleurs that, with a Speen adaptor, will work perfectly on an MTB.
[/quote']

Do one actually get speen adapters in SA or do we still have to order it of speed.it?

No agent for Speen in SA as of yet. You'll have to order directly from Speen, www.speen.de. Head over to their webshop and order the appropriate adaptor.

Racer X you're right on the money with the setup but I don't think the pricing will be too bad when comparing apples with apples, you're comparing a carbon crank t a hollow-forged Ali... I'd shell out the extra $$ [if I had it]

as for the cassette... I think SRAM are FINALLY making a cassette that can compete with the likes of Shimano.

not sure the fork is worth the 100g weight saving. carbon crown/ steerers look awesome but from expecrience with the previous sid and reba WC's... I'll stick with mine for now

To be honest I'd be quite suprised if the X.X came in at a much lower price than the XTR. That said I do agree with you in terms of desire, I'd much rather have the X.X over the XTR. I am looking to see how the X.X compares to the XTR in terms of overall reliability and stiffness. Regardless of its material and construction you have to admit that the 970 is one of the stiffest chainsets on the market. The Athertons have been using them for a few seasons now on there 4X rigs with no complaint.

I agree with you in part on the fork. People are too a large extent perceiving the new SID as a general trial fork instead of an XC race fork, its intended porpose. To an XC racer the 100 gram weight saving may well be worth it and I know for a fact that the hydraulic lock out is a huge step forwards because I got to chat to Mike Broderick ( Kenda/ Sevens) about it at the WC. The internal working of it is also very simple and effective. That all said my  07 SID WC weighs 1356 with pushloc, housing, cable and the fork itself and I find it plenty stiff, my weight taken into account.

The new cassette is definately an achiement for Sram, I'll admit that. How ever I think $ 328 dollars is a bit excessive. That is pretty much the same price range that Recon full Ti cassettes fall into.