Helmet lifespan?????

Guest Big H

Guest Big H

No what I meant M's helmet WAS replaced by the Giro crash replacement policy. Cost us virtually nothing. Her helmet cracked in seven places. She now has a new one but mine is now ready to be replaced.

I must say that ever since she fell on her head she has been much better and I see our marraige holding up for the next 30 years!!!!!!

Thanx Lefty...... own knowledge or research knowledge?????? Just to make sure' date=' as I will then be buying a new one when we get to RSA. Is that three years worth of wear use or three calender years???? After M fell on her head during our tandem prang I do not want to play around with her, and my safety. Maybe I will put the helmet under the cars wheel and claim under their chrash replacement policy/warranty!!!!![/quote']

Big H,

This is both own Knowledge (studies Mech Eng and did lots of Polymer related subjects in final year) as well as research.

If I recall, MeT, and Bell had a clause in their care and maintenance sections of their helmet manuals that the projected lifespan of their helmets was three years, 5 in Low UV, Low ave temp climates.

In my previous career I also spent many hours doign aging tests on materials and styrofoam is a very very bad performer. Under ideal storage conditions it has a shelf life of 5yrs for packaging.

Hence in cars they use Polyurethane foam as a sound damper, not the lighter, cheaper Polystyrene.

Guest Big H

Thanx Lefty.... background noted, if you need roads etc I can do the design for you!!!!

Can't find the info right now, but it was a statement from 1 of the major manufacturers, Bell if I'm not mistaken - the stuff about UV damage etc is baloney and 3 years would be unreasonably short.

They recommendeded a 3 year upgrade window because of the advances in technology which meant that newer helmets would be safer, lighter and more comfortable.

Of course if you're like me you'll hit the 3-year upgrade window through normal usage, ie crashing your head into the pavement Shocked

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

this is a good article on the subject. and another..

Although they mention that Polystyrene is not known to deteriorate with age, it does embrittle (leave a styrofoam cup outside for a few months to understand).

This affects it's impact absorption.

With many designs being a compromise between as much ventilation as possible and light weight, you want to keep your helmet as far away from any damaging chemicals, glues, hairsprays, soaps etc etc.
GoLefty!!2007-03-22 11:04:43

especially brylcreemdude,...

from the combover's i'v seen that stuff's like glue  LOL

Just look at that Trump fellow. A comb over thats been brylcreemed and then blow dried..... can't think of any other why he could get it to stay that way

Thanx Lefty.... background noted' date=' if you need roads etc I can do the design for you!!!![/quote']

Big H .....out of interest what is the approximate Rand cost for a 2-way single lane tar road per kilometer??

Hey, GoLefty, that site you mentioned above might be supporting the limited lifespan of helmets, but in general are OPPOSED to the use of it!  They state garbage like "You are more likely to hit your head in a crash if you wear a helmet." Huh?!

Maybe it does not matter that you wear one, in fact, we should all stop!Confused

Guest Big H

Delgado, difficult question, very much like "what is the lenght of a piece of string". It very much depends on the terrain, structures and type of work. I have also been out of the RSA industry for quite some time to give an accurate estimate, but i will try. The last project I was involved with was a road rehab in RSA. That worked out to roughly R 2.7mil per km. No new structures. rehab of the old basecourse and adding a new crushed stone base, cape seal wearing course. The project in Moz with less work was approx R2.0mil per km. a new rural road can cost anything between R5mil to R15mil per km. Highways can be up to 10 times the figure and more!!!! Looking at the difference between rehab and new roads one can understand why much more funds goes into rehab of old roads. We just do not have the money in this country to build new roads. The rehab program of the provinces just cannot keep up with their limited funds and we are slowly losing a great asset that previously was well maintained. No economy can grow without a good and well maintained roads network.

So Big H if a length of string costs roughly R2.7mil per km, does that mean my helmet will last for more than three years or does that depend on whether my order from Marvuli actually arrives before the three years are up?! 

...or are you just hijacking the thread!?Wink

Guest Big H

Yes Hijack in progress.... as a matter of fact I own this thread.... I started it !!!!!!!!and I may damnwell do with it whatever I want to!!!!!!

Yes Hijack in progress.... as a matter of fact I own this thread.... I started it !!!!!!!!and I may damnwell do with it whatever I want to!!!!!!

Come on Big H, for a wooden spooned one you get stirred quick yourself!!  Never thought someone could actually hijack themselves. 

So about those helmets; looks like we don't need them after all.  Will be writing to PPA and demanding we throw them away before we hit one of those potholes in the under-maintained roads of Azania and hurt our covered heads.

Hey' date=' GoLefty, that site you mentioned above might be supporting the limited lifespan of helmets, but in general are OPPOSED to the use of it!  They state garbage like "You are more likely to hit your head in a crash if you wear a helmet." Huh?!

Maybe it does not matter that you wear one, in fact, we should all stop!Confused
[/quote']

The subject of Helmet lifespan should not be linked to that authors rather daft reasons for not wanting to wear one.

The issue in Europe around helmets is that nobdy wants to be forcedto wear them and they quote all kinds of stats to "prove" that helmets are in fact bad.

Sort of like a kid telling his mum he did not take the candy, his hand did it...if yu getmy drift.

Helmets are a good idea