FSA patents 11 speed rear derailleur

_im_from_earth

The first question to ask with these things is always: What problem does it solve?

They answer that question by solving a few bogus problems.

1) Eliminates the need for a parallelogram. Why? What is the problem with a paralellogram?

2) Larger bushings for the RD. Why, they never wear out as it is.

3) Stiffer RD. Why? Stiff enough is stiff enough.

4) Eliminate the floating rear pulley. Why? Some companies have a rigid one in there with no ill effect. The floating one works, costs nothing in either weight or money and effectively re-calibrates the shifter in any position, not only after a bottom-out shift.

5) Eliminate the difficultly in setting up 10 and 11-speed systems. These are not difficult to set up. They are as easy to set up as a 5-speed system. If you can't do it, you don't need a new system, you need some tuition and practice.

Then they go and introduce some big problems that never existed in the first place.

Sets of small gears. Just  think about it. I'll rather have a parallelogram mechanism in my RD than a set of small gears.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

The patent has not yet been approved and even if it does get the approval of the US Patent Office, it doesn't mean anyone will make it or buy it.

Naaah!

.......but then a 32-16 singlespeed would solve most of problems. Do I sense a feline amongst the feathers?  .........an 11 speed derailleur sounds like a technical solution to a social problem that didn't exist in the first place? Forgive me father, I have sinned, again.

I don't need more gears. I need more time to ride. When someone comes up with a solution for that, then I'll be smiling...